Improving the density of tungsten

In summary, you are trying to improve the density of your tungsten by various means, but you are only getting about 84% density. You might want to consider buying the tungsten from a supplier or using a floating zone melting process. You also need to be safety minded and have a handy work space to make the tungsten. The weight of the end product is unknown, but it is likely to be quite heavy. The size of the tungsten is unknown, but it is likely to be quite large. The mold is likely to be made of metal, and the tungsten will be heated to a temperature of around 900 degrees Celsius.
kafri09
hey all.

i am making a sample of bulk tungsten.
but i am getting only about 84% denstiy...

can anyone suggest a mathod of improving it?
i do not want to change my sintering process so the method should be after i get the bulk...

so... anyone can suggest a process to go from 84% bulk to about 95%+

(i am thinking of electric current or somthing like that...)

any reading materials on the subject would be great...

thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you refining it from tungsten ore? What kind of contaminants are left in the mix? You already know how hot tungsten has get to melt so it will for sure be energy intensive if all you have in your kit are thermal techniques.

Try melting it the shape of a long rod. Melt it slow and long. Cut off the top and bottem

notinthebox said:
Try melting it the shape of a long rod. Melt it slow and long. Cut off the top and bottem

And what shall be the crucible material for molten tungsten, please?

kafri09 said:
i am getting only about 84% density...

Do I remember that tungsten is compacted by sintering?
Wikipedia should bring some details.

Anyway, all alloys are compacted after melting, sometimes to get their normal mechanical properties, sometimes just to get a reasonable density. It parts can't be laminated, extruded... they undergo processes like isostatic compression. If not, they stay too weak.

Floating zone melting is an option I guess. A vertical tungsten bar can suspend itself, but I guess you wouldn't ask if you had the appropriate oven. Can't you just buy it from Goodfellow?

Can you give us some more info?
1 Is this for home or a commercial product?
2 what is its shape
3 are you making more then one at a time
4 Are you handy and safety minded?
5 can you make or get equipment
6 what is the weight of the end product
7 what size is it
8 what is the mold made of
9 what temp are you heating it to now
10 do you have a work shop now

1. How can the density of tungsten be improved?

The density of tungsten can be improved through a process called powder metallurgy, which involves compacting and sintering tungsten powder. This results in a more dense and uniform material.

2. What are the benefits of improving the density of tungsten?

Improving the density of tungsten can result in increased strength, hardness, and resistance to wear and corrosion. It also allows for more precise and efficient machining of tungsten components.

3. Can the density of tungsten be improved without affecting its other properties?

Yes, through the process of powder metallurgy, the density of tungsten can be increased without significantly altering its other properties. This makes it an ideal method for improving the density of tungsten for various industrial applications.

4. How does the density of tungsten compare to other metals?

Tungsten has one of the highest densities of all naturally occurring elements, with a density of 19.25 g/cm3. This makes it denser than other commonly used metals such as steel, copper, and aluminum.

5. Are there any limitations to improving the density of tungsten?

While powder metallurgy is an effective method for improving the density of tungsten, it does have its limitations. The maximum density that can be achieved through this process is around 99.5%, as complete densification is not possible due to the presence of impurities and voids in the tungsten powder.