Impulse integration for a Tennis Racket hitting a Tennis Ball

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of impulse over time and the use of the endpoints or the function itself as the bounds. It is noted that if the impulse is a function of time, then integrating from ##t_i## to ##t_f## is reasonable. However, omitting the "t=" from the bounds can be misleading.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For this,
1684125887202.png

Can someone please tell me why they integrate the impulse over from ##t_i## to ##t_f##? Why not from ##j_i## to ##j_f##? It seems strange integrating impulse with respect to time.

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
ChiralSuperfields said:
Homework Statement: Please see below
Relevant Equations: Please see below

For this,
View attachment 326569
Can someone please tell me why they integrate the impulse over from ##t_i## to ##t_f##? Why not from ##j_i## to ##j_f##? It seems strange integrating impulse with respect to time.

Many thanks!
If you are using
##\displaystyle \int d \textbf{J}##
and you have the ##\textbf{J}##'s at the endpoints, the use the ##\textbf{J}##'s.

If you don't have the ##\textbf{J}##'s then you need to use
##\displaystyle \int \textbf{F}(t) \, dt##

-Dan

Likes ChiralSuperfields
ChiralSuperfields said:
If you think of ##\vec J## as the cumulative impulse given over some period of time then ##\vec J=\vec J(t)## and it is reasonable to write ##\int_{t=t_i}^{t_f}d\vec J(t)##. But omitting the "t=" from the bounds is a bit naughty.

Likes topsquark and ChiralSuperfields
haruspex said:
If you think of ##\vec J## as the cumulative impulse given over some period of time then ##\vec J=\vec J(t)## and it is reasonable to write ##\int_{t=t_i}^{t_f}d\vec J(t)##. But omitting the "t=" from the bounds is a bit naughty.
Thank you for your reply @topsquark and @haruspex!

@haruspex, now that you say J is a function of t I think that helps.

Many thanks!

1. What is impulse integration for a Tennis Racket hitting a Tennis Ball?

Impulse integration is a scientific concept that explains the transfer of momentum between two objects during a collision. In the case of a tennis racket hitting a tennis ball, the impulse integration refers to the transfer of momentum from the racket to the ball upon impact.

2. How does impulse integration affect the speed of the tennis ball?

During the collision between the racket and the ball, the impulse integration results in an increase in the speed of the ball. This is because the momentum from the racket is transferred to the ball, causing it to move at a higher velocity.

3. Can impulse integration be used to improve a player's performance in tennis?

Yes, understanding and utilizing impulse integration can help improve a player's performance in tennis. By understanding the mechanics of impulse integration, players can adjust their swing and timing to maximize the transfer of momentum to the ball, resulting in more powerful shots.

4. How does the mass and velocity of the tennis racket and ball affect impulse integration?

The mass and velocity of both the racket and the ball play a crucial role in impulse integration. The greater the mass and velocity of the racket, the more momentum it can transfer to the ball upon impact. Similarly, a heavier and faster-moving ball will result in a more significant change in momentum upon collision.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect impulse integration in tennis?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect impulse integration in tennis, such as the angle of the racket, the type of strings used, and the surface of the court. These factors can impact the transfer of momentum and ultimately affect the speed and direction of the ball after the collision.