Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

In BCD addition why add 6?

1. Sep 29, 2012 #1
    In BCD addition when the number exceed 9 we add 6 as the correction value. Although I tried all the cases and saw tthat 6 was indeed the asnwer, how do I prove that? Suppose that instead of BCD I had a 6-bit number, what would be the correction value for that coding?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary-coded_decimal

When you get to 0x09, what is the binary representation of it? And to get to 0x10, what do you have to add to 0x09?

4. Oct 6, 2012 #3
    What is x in 0x09. Anyways for 9 representation is 1001 and for 10 its 1010 in binary.
    In BCD representation for 9 is the same but for 10 its 0001 0000 instead of 1010.
    We need to add 6 for that - I get that but how to prove it?

5. Oct 6, 2012 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Standard notation. 0x = hex, 0b = binary...

6. Oct 6, 2012 #5
    The max amount of digits that a decimal increments before a carry is 9. The four bits used in the BCD nibble allows the max value of 16 to be counted. Therefore to properly carry from one nibble to the next 6 is added to any value above 9 to implement a carry to the next nibble. As for the the six bit number I would assume it would be the difference between the max size of the amount of bits you are using and 9.
    ((2^n)-1)-9= the amount needed to carry into the next group of bits
    where n is the number of bits used.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook