In mechanics: doea the length of the wire affects the angle?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
Tali
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


general question: if I give a ball velocity (He is tied to a wire (tension)) and consider that the wire has no mass. Does the length of the wire affects the angle?
If I solve this with energy tools then I get that the longer the wire the smaller the angle.
it does not settle down with my intuitaion.
can someone please explain.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
The length of the wire will affect your change in angle with respect to time, or your angular velocity.
You are describing a revolving-type system where the wire causes the ball to revolve around the center, right?
Think of it this way, if speed is constant, the path increases with the length of the wire, and so the number of radians traversed in one second would decrease as the length of the wire increased.
Does this address your question? If not, please clarify.