1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

In mechanics: doea the length of the wire affects the angle?

1. Jun 24, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    general question: if I give a ball velocity (He is tied to a wire (tension)) and consider that the wire has no mass. Does the lenght of the wire affects the angle?
    If I solve this with energy tools then I get that the longer the wire the smaller the angle.
    it does not settle down with my intuitaion.
    can someone please explain.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

The length of the wire will affect your change in angle with respect to time, or your angular velocity.
    You are describing a revolving-type system where the wire causes the ball to revolve around the center, right?
    Think of it this way, if speed is constant, the path increases with the length of the wire, and so the number of radians traversed in one second would decrease as the length of the wire increased.
    Does this address your question? If not, please clarify.

4. Jun 24, 2015 #3
    Tx. It answers my question

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted