Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

In Need Of An Inline Waterproof 2 Pin Connector

1. Jun 24, 2014 #1
    I have a compression fitting that I am using to bring power into a pressurized vessel. On the side exposed to the enviornment there are 2 14 AWG 24" long leads. This vessel is going to be under water. So I need a way of creating a waterproof connection to each of the 24" leads so I can have a longer cable that I can run up and out of the water to a 24V DC power supply. Does anybody know of something that could possibly help me. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2014 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

See http://www.dsmt.com/resources/ip-rating-chart for the "ingress protection" codes for connectors.

Presumably you need connectors rated as IPx7 or IPx8 (where the x digit specifies the protection against solid objects) depending on the water depth.

4. Jun 24, 2014 #3
    Yes I think I would need IP08. I have tried searching but have not found much. Is there a small inline connector that could meet these requirements.

5. Jun 24, 2014 #4
    Digikey has 1,329 dustproof and waterproof circular connectors which are in stock. Each item has a link to a data sheet with more info. I took a look at one that claimed the connector was tested at a depth of 10m for 2 weeks and 100m for 12 hours.

There are many other kinds of connectors if a circular one will not work for your device.

edit: I filtered the search for 2-pole plugs as well as waterproofing. There are many more possibilities for the circular connectors.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  6. Jun 24, 2014 #5

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Is this a hobby or manufacturing application?

I'd take a look at Deutsch DT series

they work well on outboard motors even after a day underneath salt water.

http://www.laddinc.com/images/stories/catalog/Deutsch_Catalog.pdf#page=19 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  7. Jun 24, 2014 #6
    Maybe you didn't find much searching for IP08 because if it's waterproof it's also dustproof. That would make it IP68. I googled "IP68 connectors" and there were many to choose from.

Also, you can get some dielectric grease from a hardware store with a good electrical section. If you squeeze some into any connector it will help keep the water out.

8. Jun 24, 2014 #7

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are IP58s as well, for connectors that are normally used dry but might get dropped in water - e.g. cellphones etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook