Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need Help Finding a Cable Quick Connector

1. Oct 10, 2013 #1
    Can someone suggest a product or point me in the right direction of something that will do the following.

I have a 24V DC LED panel connected to a dimmer by a cable that has 4 conductors with a 24 AWG size. I need to put a quick connect between the dimmer and the LED panel. The smaller this connector is the better. Can somebody help me out. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

RJ45? That's the standard connector for 24AWG phone cable...

4. Oct 10, 2013 #3
    Each RJ45 accepts 2 wires. So would I need to find one that works with 4 or could I just use 2 RJ45 connections to connect my 4 wires inside my cable.

5. Oct 10, 2013 #4

berkeman

6. Oct 10, 2013 #5

meBigGuy

Gold Member

I am against using standard connectors for non standard things. You want something people won't plug their "whatever" in to.

That said, Molex connectors are almost always for carrying power. http://www.jameco.com/1/3/molex-panel-mount-connectors

Other "standards-like" choices are DB (like DB-7), Din, and other circular connectors. Just search for "panel mount power connectors" or just "panel mount connectors".

There may be some ready made molex cable assemblies too.

7. Oct 10, 2013 #6

berkeman

That's an excellent point, and a good policy. I was under the impression that the OP's system was pretty closed/private, so I didn't factor that consideration in. One compromise option would be to use the outside 2 pairs of conductors out of the 8, since those are hardly ever used in phone-type applications.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook