In the current economy, how competitive are actuarial jobs?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
glbhuo
Messages
2
Reaction score
1
I am considering switching to a math major with a track in actuarial science (curriculum here https://catalog.louisville.edu/undergraduate/majors/mathematics-bs/#trackrequirementstext), with a minor in computer science (since that will only take me 2-3 more classes). I was wondering, given the economy's current conditions, how competitive actuarial jobs are, and how useful the actuarial track that I linked to is?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Let me adjust your question slightly - I think you're asking how competitive entry level actuarial jobs are. The answer is that they are fairly competitive; not as bad as top investment bank, but certainly not easy. This has been the case for roughly thirty years; many people see the money actuaries make and are interested in the career, but many who start the exam process fail out. So you end up with a situation where employers are advantaged at entry level and candidates have the advantage at the credentialed/experienced level.

The big question you should be asking yourself is how quickly you can pass exams. What do you know about them? Have you passed any yet? 2 - 3 are practically required these days to get an entry level job.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: FactChecker