What is the Normal Force on an Incline Plane with Two Connected Blocks?

In summary, the problem involves a block of mass m1 (0.23 grams) on an incline plane of angle α (30°), connected through a pulley to a second block of mass m2 (0.18 grams). The acceleration of the block is found to be +1.55 m/s2 and the Tension force is +1.48. The Normal force of the plane is equal to the Y-axis component of the weight force of the first block, calculated as 0.23*9.81*0.87. There is no other influence on the Normal force by the second object in the system.
Alex126

Homework Statement

On an incline plane of known angle α (30°) lies a block of mass m1 (0.23 grams), connected through a pulley without friction to a second block of mass m2 (0.18 grams). Determine:
- The acceleration of the block
- The Tension force
- The Normal force of the plane

Homework Equations

F = m*a

The Attempt at a Solution

The simplest of the requests is actually the one that troubles me the most. The Normal force of the plane should be:
Normal = -Weight1_Y
(Weight1_Y = Y-axis component of the weight force of the first block)
Therefore, Normal = Weight 1 * cos (30°), so Normal = 0.23*9.81*0.87 = 1.96

As simple as it should be, I have some doubts that there might be more to it, such as some sort of influence on the Normal force by the second object in the system.
So, in other words, I'm asking if the Normal force in this case is still just -Weight1_Y, or if there's something else to consider.

Also, note that the problem asks the "Normal force of the plane", so if there is any other "Normal force", other than the plane's reaction to the Weight force (Y component only) of the body that lies on it, please let me know.

First I have to write the forces for each body individually.

1. [Tension] + [Weight 1] + [Normal] = m1*a
2. [Tension] + [Weight 2] = m2*a

Choosing +X towards the motion (assuming block m1 is sliding down), and +Y upwards (assuming block m2 is going up), this would become:

1. -T + W1_X + W1_Y - Normal = m1*a
2. +T - W2 = m2*a

The #1 becomes (W1_Y - Normal = 0): T = W1_X - m1*a
The #2 becomes: T = W2 + m2*a
Solving the system, we have W1_X - m1*a = W2 + m2*a, so:
a = (W1_X-W2) / (m1+m2)
a = (0.23*9.81*sin (30°) - 0.18*9.81) / (0.23-0.18)
a = -1.55

Since acceleration is negative, it means that the motion happens in the direction opposite the chosen axis system. Therefore, I conclude that the block m1 doesn't actually slide down the incline plane, but actually goes up the plane with an acceleration of +1.55 m/s2

Normally I wouldn't have a problem with this conclusion, but I just want to make sure.

Anyhow, the Tension is then calculated from the same system, for instance the first equation, so:
T = 0.23*9.81*sin (30°) - 0.23*(-1.55)
T = +1.48
Same number results from T = W2+m2*a (0.18*9.81+0.18*(-1.55))

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't fully read your question as formulas are not tidy.

Please look at my attached material which might help you, I think.

Two_object_incline_plane_pully.jpg

Alex126 said:
some sort of influence on the Normal force by the second object in the system.
Fundamental principle: each rigid body in the system responds to those forces which act on it directly. It cannot know or care about other forces. This is why it's a good idea to draw a separate free body diagram for each rigid body in the system.
Alex126 said:
if there is any other "Normal force
Not that I can see.
Alex126 said:
the block m1 doesn't actually slide down the incline plane, but actually goes up the plane with an acceleration of +1.55 m/s2
Right.

Ok, thanks.

1. What is the purpose of the incline and pulley?

The incline and pulley are simple machines that work together to reduce the amount of force needed to move an object. They allow for the transfer of force over a longer distance, making it easier to lift or move heavy objects.

2. How does the incline and pulley work?

The incline is a flat surface that is angled upwards. When an object is placed on the incline, the force of gravity pulling it downwards is reduced. The pulley is a wheel with a rope or chain wrapped around it. When force is applied to one end of the rope, the other end moves in the opposite direction, allowing for the object to be lifted or moved.

3. What are the benefits of using an incline and pulley?

The incline and pulley provide mechanical advantage, meaning that they require less force to move an object. This can make tasks such as lifting heavy objects much easier and more efficient. They also allow for a smooth and controlled movement, reducing the risk of injury.

4. Are there different types of incline and pulley systems?

Yes, there are various types of incline and pulley systems, such as fixed pulleys, movable pulleys, and compound pulleys. Each type has its own unique advantages and is used for different purposes.

5. Can the incline and pulley be used in real-life situations?

Yes, the incline and pulley are commonly used in everyday life, especially in industries such as construction, transportation, and manufacturing. They can also be found in various household items, such as window blinds and garage doors.