Incline plane, two masses, a pulley

In summary, the problem involves two blocks connected by a string passing over an ideal pulley. One block has a mass of 2m and is on an inclined plane with angle theta to horizontal, while the other block has a mass of m and hangs off the pulley on the high side of the inclined plane. The goal is to find the angle theta that allows the mass to move at a constant speed. To solve this problem, the equations for the two blocks are used, with the assumption that the 2m block will move down the plane towards the earth. The final equation, -(mu)(cos theta)=(1/2)-sin theta, is used to find the solution for theta.
jimz

Homework Statement

A string through an ideal pulley connects two blocks, one (mass=2m) is on an inclined plane with angle theta to horizontal and coefficient of kinetic friction mu. The other block (mass=m) hangs off the pulley on the high side of the inclined plane.

(looks like this, except no acceleration and the block on the plane is twice the mass of the hanging block:
http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1010976/24/MLD_2l_2_v2_2_a.jpg)

Find the angle theta that allows the mass to move at a constant speed.

Homework Equations

First, I'm not even sure which direction the blocks will move, and I'm not going to figure it out but I suspect they can move at a constant velocity either way if we vary theta and mu. For now I'll assume that the 2m mass will move down the plane towards the earth. If that's wrong a the friction sign will be changed but the same idea here.

for the 2m mass, with +x along the plane pointing down, and y perpendicular pointing up :

[tex]\sum F_{2mx}=F_{gravityx}-F_{frictionx}-T[/tex]
[tex]\sum F_{2mx}=2mg sin \theta-(\mu)(2mg cos \theta)-T [/tex]

[tex]\sum F_{2my}=N-F_{gravityy} [/tex]
[tex]\sum F_{2my}=N-2mg cos \theta [/tex]

for the m mass, with +y in the up direction:
[tex]\sum F_{my}= T-F_{gravity}[/tex]
[tex]\sum F_{my}= T-mg[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

At a constant velocity, neither block is accelerating, so a=0

I believe all I need to do is focus on one mass, I'll try block on the plane (mass=2m) with the x direction along the inclined plane.
[tex]\sum F_{2mx}=2mg sin \theta-(\mu)(2mg cos \theta)-T=2m\ddot{x}=0 [/tex]

Can I then assume T=mg from the hanging mass with no acceleration?

[tex]2mg sin \theta-(\mu)(2mg cos \theta)-mg=2m\ddot{x}=0 [/tex]
[tex]mg(2sin \theta-(\mu)(2cos \theta)-1)=0 [/tex]
[tex]sin \theta-(\mu)(cos \theta)-\frac{1}{2}=0 [/tex]
[tex]-(\mu)(cos \theta)=\frac{1}{2}-sin \theta [/tex]And then I'm kind of stuck and unsure I even set it up right.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this your homework?

yes, it's a problem from our book. Does that matter?

I now think I set it up correctly and it's now just a math problem but I still can't get anywhere closer to the solution for theta.

What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that consists of a flat surface that is tilted at an angle. It is commonly used to reduce the amount of force needed to move an object to a higher or lower position.

What are the two masses in an inclined plane system?

The two masses in an inclined plane system refer to the objects that are being moved along the inclined plane. One mass is typically placed on the higher end of the plane, while the other is placed on the lower end.

What is the role of a pulley in an inclined plane system?

A pulley is a simple machine that is used to change the direction of a force. In an inclined plane system, a pulley is often used to redirect the force needed to move one of the masses along the plane.

How does an inclined plane system work?

An inclined plane system works by using the force of gravity and the angle of the inclined plane to reduce the amount of force needed to move an object. The higher the angle of the inclined plane, the less force is needed to move the object.

What are some real-life examples of an inclined plane system?

Some real-life examples of an inclined plane system include ramps, slides, and staircases. These structures all use the principle of an inclined plane to make it easier for people or objects to move to a higher or lower position.