Inclined Plane and sliding block

In summary, the velocity of the block is 1.13 m/s at the start of the experiment, but it has a velocity of 4.13 m/s after 1.00 seconds.
BuBbLeS01

Homework Statement

The velocity of a 2.10 kg block sliding down a frictionless inclined plane is found to be 1.13 m/s. 1.00 s later, it has a velocity of 4.13 m/s. What is the angle of the plane with respect to the horizontal?

2. The attempt at a solution
I drew a diagram and everything...but I have never had to solve for an angle so I am not sure what formula to even start with.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay I have..
Vo = 1.13 m/s
Vf = 4.1 m/s
t = 1.00s
w = 20.6 N
m = 2.1 kg

I drew a diagram having the block sliding down the incline toward the origin and on the x-axis and I split the Normal into x and y components, can I do that? The only other force I have put on the block is the weight force. Is that right?

mass/weight has nothing to do in this problem.

you know what the acceleration is (g). But since it's at some angle (theta) it's not 100% g.

so a=sin or cos (theta)?

and then can you plug that into an equation that involves v0, vf, and time and solve for sin or cos (theta) and then you do arcsin or arccos to get the theta.

so acceleration = cos theta

no sin theta because it's going to be some y value, instead of being 90* straight up.
it's inclines somewhat so it's sin theta.

so I got a = 3 using vf = vo + at

yes but now you need to replace a by what a is when it's not a straight 90* or 0*.

so when you have that you need to change to a=9.8sin theta.

and then you solve for theta.

Also did you found to get a=3? don't round it off till you solve finally for theta or your answer could be off by too much.

I got 3 from (4.13m/s-1.13m/s) x 1.00s= 3 exactly.
so 3.00 = 9.8 sin theta
3.00/9.8 = sin theta
theta = 17.81?

Thank you very much!

yes theta = 17.81 degrees.

and sry saw 4.1 m/s on your post #2 not #1.

oh sorry!

1. How does an inclined plane make it easier to move a block?

An inclined plane reduces the amount of force needed to move an object by increasing the distance over which the force is applied. This is known as mechanical advantage.

2. What is the relationship between the angle of the inclined plane and the effort required to move the block?

The steeper the angle of the inclined plane, the greater the effort required to move the block. As the angle approaches 90 degrees, the effort required approaches the weight of the block.

3. How does the mass of the block affect the motion on an inclined plane?

The mass of the block does not affect the motion on an inclined plane. As long as the force applied to the block is greater than the force of gravity, the block will move up the inclined plane at a constant speed.

4. What is the difference between a smooth and rough inclined plane in terms of friction?

A smooth inclined plane has less friction than a rough inclined plane. This is because the surface of a smooth inclined plane has less irregularities that can hinder the motion of the block.

5. Can the angle of the inclined plane be adjusted to change the speed of the block?

Yes, the angle of the inclined plane can be adjusted to change the speed of the block. A steeper angle will result in a faster speed, while a shallower angle will result in a slower speed.