Inclined plane moment of inertia

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 11K views
pat666
Messages
703
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A block with mass m = 5.00 kg slides down a surface inclined 36.9 to the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.25. A string attached to the block is wrapped around a flywheel has mass 25.0 kg and moment of inertia 0.500 kgm2 with respect to the axis of rotation. The string pulls without slipping at a perpendicular distance of 0.200 m from that axis.
a) What is the acceleration of the block down the plane
b) What is the tension in the string

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


Ok I've been having a lot of trouble with things involving moments of inertia. I've found the friction that opposes the motion to be 9.81N. but how do i calculate the opposing force that the flywheel provides? any help is appreciated, as always..
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Could you please show a picture?

ehild
 
Could you please show a picture?

ehild
 
How do you show a picture in a reply?? I've attached it as a word doc.
 
Attachments
Use the relationship [tex]\alpha[/tex]=a/r and solve the torque equation for a.
 
First sum up all of the forces for the block.

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fx=sin[tex]\theta[/tex]*Fg-Ff-T=ma

Then get the pulley

[tex]\Sigma\tau[/tex]=I*[tex]\alpha[/tex]
 
Ok ill do that and report back with my answer, thanks.
 
Hey Pat,

Could you describe what you've done to come up with those answers? I couldn't follow.

Cheers
 
why do you want to follow, more cqu peoples?
 
Last edited:
69camaro said:
Hey Pat,

Could you describe what you've done to come up with those answers? I couldn't follow.

Cheers

which part?