1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inclined Plane Problem-- Solving for Theta

1. Jun 24, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    These two problems are inclined plane problems which I cannot figure out. The problems are attached in the image below.

2. Relevant equations
    Fnet=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    I first broke down the gravity force into its x and y components. After that, I did this:
    mgsinx-F(kinetic friction)=ma

and found the expression for normal force: N=mgcosx

then found the expression for F(kinetic friction): mgcosxµk

I tried plugging in the expression for kinetic friction:

mgsinx-mgcosx(µk)=ma

I wasn't able to find an answer using this method so now I have no clue how to proceed.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2016 #2
    The important part of the question says (the print is too small for my eyes) the angle is adjusted so that the block has a constant speed of (can't read it) call it v.

Assume your equation is correct, what is the acceleration if the velocity is constant?

4. Jun 24, 2016 #3
    Oh I see, I completely overlooked that-- I mistook the velocity for acceleration. I'll rework this with a=0 and see if I can figure it out. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted