Inclined plane/Static Friction Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the coefficient of static friction between a 250-kg crate and an inclined surface using the equation Ff=μsmgcosθ. The first attempt at solving the problem resulted in an incorrect answer, as the normal force was incorrectly calculated. The correct method for finding the normal force is to consider all forces acting on the crate perpendicular to the surface, which leads to a correct coefficient of static friction of .244.
newport
1. A 250-kg crate rests on a surface that is inclined above the horizontal at an angle of 21.8°. A horizontal force (magnitude = 515 N and parallel to the ground, not the incline) is required to start the crate moving down the incline. What is the coefficient of static friction between the crate and the incline?

2. Ffsmgcosθ
Fapplied=Fparallelcosθ

3. I made Fparallel equal to Ff. When I solved it I got a coefficient of static friction of .244, but apparently it's not correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
newport said:
Ffsmgcosθ
Careful here. The friction force equals μN, but N ≠ mgcosθ. The horizontal force changes the normal force, since it has a component perpendicular to the surface.

Figure out the normal force, then you can redo the problem.

I got practically the same answer.

How did you solve for the normal force?

I found the y component of the applied force and then added that to the normal force of the crate on the plane.

newport said:
I found the y component of the applied force and then added that to the normal force of the crate on the plane.
I don't quite understand. Do you mean: N = Fsinθ + mgcosθ? If so, that's not quite correct.

I used [itex]\frac{tan21.8}{515}[/itex] to find it, not Fsinθ.

newport said:
I used [itex]\frac{tan21.8}{515}[/itex] to find it, not Fsinθ.
I don't understand what that represents.

To find the normal force, consider all forces acting on the crate perpendicular to the surface:
- y component of 515 N force (up)
- Normal force (up)
- y component of weight (down)

They must add to 0. That let's you solve for the normal force.

Related to Inclined plane/Static Friction Problem

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that consists of a flat surface that is sloped at an angle. It is commonly used to reduce the effort needed to lift or move an object to a higher elevation.

2. How is the mechanical advantage of an inclined plane calculated?

The mechanical advantage of an inclined plane is calculated by dividing the length of the inclined plane by its height. This ratio represents the amount of force that is saved by using the inclined plane.

3. How does an inclined plane affect the force required to move an object?

An inclined plane reduces the force needed to move an object by increasing the distance over which the force is applied. This allows the object to be moved with less effort.

4. What is static friction and how does it relate to inclined planes?

Static friction is a type of force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it. It is present when an object is at rest and is overcome by the force of the applied force. In the case of inclined planes, static friction helps to keep the object from sliding down the slope.

5. How can the coefficient of static friction be determined for an inclined plane?

The coefficient of static friction can be determined by dividing the force required to move an object up an inclined plane by the weight of the object. This ratio represents the amount of resistance provided by the surface of the inclined plane.