Increase Near Field Coverage & Power Use: Can It Be Done?

• A
  • Thread starter Robert D
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary: The near field effect is a function of wavelength and the size of the source, so you would need a very large wave source to achieve saturation.
Robert D
My apologies in advance if I chose the wrong prefix.

Can saturation point of the near field affect be increased in coverage\distance? I know it says one wavelength, but if that wavelength is seventy five feet? Is it possible to to saturate an area of say 20'x 30'? and if so, would the power usage simply be too great to accomplish this?

Thank you for your time

Robert D

Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand the matter correctly, I think the main problem you will run into is that not only is the near field effect a function of the wavelength, but also the size of the source. That is, the near Field's size is on the same order of magnitude in size as the source. So, for a 10x10 meter near field, you'd need a very large wave source.

Forgive me, I am just starting my to research this matter.

Are you talking the size of the transmission antenna, as I understand this it's directly related to the frequency, so a 13.56Mhz would create a coil totaling 72' +- of wire. The 20'x 30' I threw out was arbitrary, but if I used this wavelength and say transmission & receiving coils of 3' dia (roughly 8 wrapped coils), would it be possible to saturate a chamber ten foot square? I'm guessing I'd need an RFG somewhere in the range of 5Kw's or higher if it's possible at all.

Ultimately what I am trying to find out is can this experiment be repeated at varying distances if you used a more powerful RFG and spread the transmission and receiver antennas out to wider coils?

John Kanzius video: https://youtu.be/4fYc_MRG2wM

Thank you for any help and opinions.

Robert

Last edited:
Thank you, I actually answered my own question about an hour after my second post on this subject.

1. How can we increase near field coverage and power use?

There are a few methods that can be used to increase near field coverage and power use. One way is to use multiple antennas in a phased array configuration, which can focus the transmitted power towards a specific area. Another approach is to use power amplifiers with higher output power. Additionally, using higher frequencies can also help increase near field coverage and power use.

2. Is it possible to increase near field coverage and power without causing interference?

Yes, it is possible to increase near field coverage and power without causing interference. This can be achieved by using advanced signal processing techniques and carefully designing the antenna placement and configuration. Additionally, using directional antennas and optimizing the antenna patterns can help minimize interference.

3. What are the potential risks of increasing near field coverage and power?

Increasing near field coverage and power can potentially cause health hazards to people who are in close proximity to the antenna. This is because higher power levels can increase the exposure to electromagnetic radiation. It is important to follow safety guidelines and regulations when increasing near field coverage and power.

4. Are there any limitations to increasing near field coverage and power?

Yes, there are limitations to increasing near field coverage and power. One limitation is that as the frequency increases, the near field coverage decreases. This is because higher frequencies have a shorter wavelength, which makes it more difficult for the waves to propagate over long distances. Additionally, increasing power beyond a certain limit can also cause interference and potential health risks.

5. How can we ensure that the increased near field coverage and power does not affect other wireless devices?

To ensure that the increased near field coverage and power does not affect other wireless devices, it is important to carefully design and test the system before implementation. This includes optimizing the antenna placement and using advanced signal processing techniques to minimize interference. Additionally, complying with regulatory guidelines and performing regular maintenance and monitoring can help prevent any interference with other devices.