1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Increasing / decreasing functions

1. Nov 14, 2012 #1
    I juat have a quick question.

Which of these is correct;

f(x) is one-to-one [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] f'(x) is increasing

f(x) is one-to-one [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] f'(x) is non-decreasing.

I think number one but I'm just not 100% sure.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2012 #2
    What about f(x) = arctan (x).

4. Nov 14, 2012 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It the function f1(x) = 1 - exp(-x) 1:1? If f1'(x) increasing? Is the function f2(x) = exp(x) 1:1? is f2'(x) increasing? Is f3(x) = arctan(x) 1:1? Is f3'(x) increasing everywhere? Is it decreasing everywhere?

RGV

5. Nov 14, 2012 #4
    arctan in 1:1 and it looks as if it's always increasing.

What I want to know is that if a function is non-decreasing (i.e. a straight line) is it 1:1

6. Nov 14, 2012 #5

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Suppose f(x) is a one to one function. So if f(x) = f(y) then x = y.

RGV gave a good example of a function that shoots down your theory, either one of them since they both mean the same thing.

Take f(x) = 1 - e-x. f'(x) = e-x.

So first note that f(x) is 1-1 and increasing. Now, f'(x) on the other hand is actually decreasing.

So it is not true that : If f(x) is 1-1, then f'(x) is decreasing.

To answer your other question about "what if f is a straight line" consider f(x) = c for some constant real number c.

There are infinitely many choices of x that give the same value for f, so the function is not 1-1.

7. Nov 14, 2012 #6
    Ah right thanks Zondrina.

Yeah apologies for the confusion but I wrote it down incorrectly. I meant always increasing or always decreasing.

Thanks for the clarification

8. Nov 14, 2012 #7
    I don't mean to belabor the point, but if your function is 1-1 it need not be increasing or decreasing. e.g. Let f(x) = 1/x for negative x, f(x) = x for x greater than or equal to 0.

However, if f(x) is continuous and 1-1, then it is true that f must either be increasing or decreasing.

Also, if f is differentiable, and 1-1, then either [itex] f'(x) \geq 0 [/itex] for all x. OR [itex] f'(x)\leq 0 [/itex] for all x.

9. Nov 14, 2012 #8
    Yeah, I was referring to Continuous functions, apologies.

Regarding your last point, if f'(x) = 0 doesn't this mean that f is not 1-1?

10. Nov 14, 2012 #9
    It depends on the set of values x such that f'(x)=0. The derivative can be zero at isolated points. For example, if f(x)=x^3, then f'(0)=0. You could even come up with examples where f'(x)=0 for an infinite number of x values. For example, if f(x)=x-sin(x), then f'(x)=1-cos(x) which equals 0 at all integer multiples of 2*pi, but is otherwise positive.

It is even possible for f'(x) to be zero at an infinite number of points in a finite interval. For example, suppose
    [itex] f'(x) = x^2 sin^2(\pi / x) [/itex]
    This is 0 at all points x=1/n, but otherwise positive.

The technical requirement is that if f' ≥ 0 then f is strictly increasing if and only if the set of points x such that f'(x)=0 has measure 0.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook