Increasing Function Homework: Largest Interval

In summary, the condition for the function to be increasing is f'(x) > 0 or f'(x) ≥ 0 and in this case, the largest interval on which the function f(x) = x^2 + 4x + 2 is increasing is [-2, ∞). However, there may be a distinction between "increasing" and "strictly increasing", so it is best to check with your teacher or textbook for clarification.
songoku

Homework Statement

The largest interval on which the function f(x) = x2 + 4x + 2 is increasing is

a. [0, ~)
b. (-~, 0]
c. [-2, ~)
d. (-~, -2]
e. (-2, ~)

Homework Equations

differentiation

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure the answer is (c) or (e). The condition that the function is increasing is f '(x) > 0 or f ' (x) [tex]\geq[/tex] 0?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi songoku! :smile:

(have an infinity: ∞ and a geq: ≥ :wink:)
songoku said:
… The condition that the function is increasing is f '(x) > 0 or f ' (x) [tex]\geq[/tex] 0?

"increasing" means > 0; ''non-decreasing" would be ≥ 0. :wink:

Hi tiny-tim :smile:

Thanks a lot ! (again)

But there's also the distinction between "increasing" - f'(x) >= 0 and "strictly increasing" - f'(x) > 0. And similar for decreasing vs. strictly decreasing.

Hi Mark

Hm...so what is the appropriate condition used for this question? Thanks

Hm...I think I'm with you Mark :smile:

Songoku, the difficulty is that some textbooks use the "increasing", "nondecreasing" terminology while others use "increasing", "strictly increasing".

You ought to check with our teacher or your textbook to make sure which your class is using.

Hi HallsofIvy

Ok, I'll do it. Thanks a lot for your suggestion :smile:

1. What is the purpose of increasing function homework?

The purpose of increasing function homework is to help students understand and practice the concept of increasing functions, which are functions that have a positive slope and are always increasing as the input increases.

2. What is the largest interval for increasing function homework?

The largest interval for increasing function homework is the entire domain of the function, which includes all possible input values that result in an increasing output.

3. How do I determine the largest interval for a given function?

To determine the largest interval for a given function, you must first find the domain of the function. Then, you must test different intervals within the domain to see which interval results in the largest increase in output values.

4. How do I know if a function is increasing or not?

A function is considered increasing if its slope is always positive and the output values increase as the input values increase. This can also be determined by graphing the function and observing if the graph is always moving upwards from left to right.

5. What are some tips for solving increasing function homework?

Some tips for solving increasing function homework include understanding the definition of an increasing function, identifying the domain of the function, testing different intervals within the domain, and using algebraic techniques to find the largest interval. It is also helpful to practice with a variety of functions to gain a better understanding of the concept.