1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Indefinite integral involving arctan and ln

1. Apr 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

∫ 1/x arctan (lnx) dx

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1.U substitution. SO u = ln x, du= 1/x dx
    ∫ arctan u du

2.by parts: u = arctan u du = 1/ 1+u^2
    v = 1 dv = du

3. uv - ∫vdu = artan u - ∫ 1/ 1+u^2
    = arctan u - artan u = 0

Did I answer this right?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If du=dv, then v=u, not v=1! I'd also suggest when you get to ∫ arctan u du and if you want to use u and v for the variables in the integration by parts you change that to ∫ arctan w dw. Otherwise the variable naming gets really confusing.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  4. Apr 19, 2012 #3
    Also, u = arctan(u) du doesn't make sense! If you already did u-substitution, use v and w for integration by parts so your variables don't get mixed up.

5. Apr 19, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think applejack meant u=arctan(u), which also doesn't make sense, and is part of the variable naming problem.

6. Apr 19, 2012 #5
    You're right, he did, the du part is when he took the derivative.

I'm used to putting the four equations (u, dv, du, v) in a box shape in my scratch work so I always get confused when it is formatted poorly on websites. Regardless, in addition to changing the variable, there should have been a comma inserted there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook