Indefinite integral involving arctan and ln

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving the integral of 1/x arctan(lnx) dx. The suggested methods are through u-substitution or integration by parts, with the latter resulting in a final answer of 0. There is also a suggestion to change the variable naming to avoid confusion.
appplejack

Homework Statement

∫ 1/x arctan (lnx) dx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1.U substitution. SO u = ln x, du= 1/x dx
∫ arctan u du

2.by parts: u = arctan u du = 1/ 1+u^2
v = 1 dv = du

3. uv - ∫vdu = artan u - ∫ 1/ 1+u^2
= arctan u - artan u = 0

Did I answer this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
If du=dv, then v=u, not v=1! I'd also suggest when you get to ∫ arctan u du and if you want to use u and v for the variables in the integration by parts you change that to ∫ arctan w dw. Otherwise the variable naming gets really confusing.

Last edited:
Also, u = arctan(u) du doesn't make sense! If you already did u-substitution, use v and w for integration by parts so your variables don't get mixed up.

scurty said:
Also, u = arctan(u) du doesn't make sense! If you already did u-substitution, use v and w for integration by parts so your variables don't get mixed up.

I think applejack meant u=arctan(u), which also doesn't make sense, and is part of the variable naming problem.

Dick said:
I think applejack meant u=arctan(u), which also doesn't make sense, and is part of the variable naming problem.

You're right, he did, the du part is when he took the derivative.

I'm used to putting the four equations (u, dv, du, v) in a box shape in my scratch work so I always get confused when it is formatted poorly on websites. Regardless, in addition to changing the variable, there should have been a comma inserted there.

1. What is an indefinite integral involving arctan and ln?

An indefinite integral involving arctan and ln is an integration problem that contains both the inverse tangent function (arctan) and the natural logarithm function (ln). It can be written in the form ∫arctan(x)ln(x)dx.

2. How do you solve an indefinite integral involving arctan and ln?

To solve an indefinite integral involving arctan and ln, you can use integration by parts. This involves breaking down the integral into simpler parts and using a specific formula to solve each part. It is a commonly used technique in calculus.

3. What is the process for solving an indefinite integral involving arctan and ln?

The process for solving an indefinite integral involving arctan and ln is as follows:

1. Identify the functions in the integral and label them as u and v.
  2. Use the formula ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du to solve the integral.
  3. Simplify the resulting integral and solve for the remaining variables.
  4. Check your answer by differentiating it to see if it matches the original integral.

4. Can an indefinite integral involving arctan and ln be solved without using integration by parts?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to solve an indefinite integral involving arctan and ln. These include substitution, partial fractions, and trigonometric identities. However, integration by parts is often the most efficient method for these types of integrals.

5. What are some real-world applications of indefinite integrals involving arctan and ln?

Indefinite integrals involving arctan and ln can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, they can be used to calculate the work done by a force over a distance. In economics, they can be used to model demand and supply curves. In general, these integrals are useful for solving problems involving rates of change and accumulation.