Indefinite Integration of function's like log(cos(x))?

In summary: Just a little curious about the integration part. In which cases do you usually use the polylogarithmic functions when you do integration? Like is there certain types of functions where taking the integral in such a manner is... easier?

Indefinite integration of log(cos(x))?

• Does not Exist

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No Idea

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Najmoddin
Indefinite Integration of function's like log(cos(x))?

Can anyone please help me to calculate Indefinite Integration of function's like log(cos(x))?.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

To integrate something like f(g(x)) you need to use a trick - and it is not always easy.
Usually you hope that you can make a substitution like u=g(x) so that dx=du/g'(x) and g'(x) can be expressed in terms of u.
If h(u)=g'(x) then f(g(x))dx becomes f(u)du/h(u) which may or may not be an improvement.

For a function like log(g(x)) you could be tempted try for g(x)=eh(x)
and realize that log(x)=ln(x)/ln(10).
then log(g(x))dx becomes h(x)dx/ln(10)
... but just try doing that non-trivially ... since you are just saying that h(x)=ln(g(x)) which is proportional to what you started with.

For a sin or a cos inside the log, express the function as a sum of exponentials.
Then substitute (in the case of cosine x) u=eix+e-ix

ref: http://www.goiit.com/posts/list/integral-calculus-how-can-i-integrate-ln-cos-x-with-respect-1012410.htm

[edit: why is this a poll? It's not a matter of opinion...]

Last edited by a moderator:

The integral [itex]\int \log(\cos(x))dx[/itex] can not be solved by elementary functions. To solve the integral, we need the polylogarithmic function.

So the integral does exist, but we just can't find it.

micromass said:
The integral [itex]\int \log(\cos(x))dx[/itex] can not be solved by elementary functions. To solve the integral, we need the polylogarithmic function.

So the integral does exist, but we just can't find it.

Sorry if this question sounds stupid, but what is polylogarithmic function?

And more importantly, when do we use it?

Last edited:

Najmoddin said:
Can anyone please help me to calculate Indefinite Integration of function's like log(cos(x))?.

I haven't thought of the method yet, but the answer looks complicated:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+log(cos(x))

Courtesy Wolfram Alpha.

Even the graph of the integral is not simple and continuous and there is an imaginary component.

Byron Chen said:
Sorry if this question sounds stupid, but what is polylogarithmic function?

It is not stupid at all. It's an advanced function. It is defined as

[tex]Li_s(z)=\sum_{n=1}^{+\infty}{\frac{z^k}{k^s}}[/tex]

for |z|<1. It is defined for [itex]|z|\geq 1[/itex] by "analytic continuation".

An example: if s=1, we get [itex]Li_1(z)=\log(z)[/itex] the ordinary logarithm.
For s=2, we get
[tex]Li_2(z)=\int_0^z \frac{\log(z)}{z}dz[/tex]
For s=3, we have
[tex]Li_3(z)=\int_0^z \frac{Li_2(z)}{z}dz[/tex]

In general, we always have
[tex]Li_s(z)=\int_0^z \frac{Li_{s-1}(z)}{z}dz[/tex]

This might look confusing. The only thing I want to make clear is that the polylogarithm is usually not always a elementary function (except for special values such as s=1)

micromass said:

For s=2, we get
For s=3, we have

This might look confusing. The only thing I want to make clear is that the polylogarithm is usually not always a elementary function (except for special values such as s=1)

Thanks a lot.

Can you also explain when we usually use this function?

Byron Chen said:
Thanks a lot.

Can you also explain when we usually use this function?

You can use it for a lot of things. One example is of course to calculate integrals. Many integrals can be calculated using polylogarithmic functions.

Another example is the connection between the Riemann-zeta function. We have that

[tex]Li_s(1)=\zeta (s)[/tex]

and the zeta function has of course many applications in number theory. As such, the polylogarithmic functions become important in number theory.

But to be honest, you'll never see these functions unless reading quite advanced books in complex analysis or (analytic) number theory.

micromass said:
You can use it for a lot of things. One example is of course to calculate integrals. Many integrals can be calculated using polylogarithmic functions.

Another example is the connection between the Riemann-zeta function. We have that

[tex]Li_s(1)=\zeta (s)[/tex]

and the zeta function has of course many applications in number theory. As such, the polylogarithmic functions become important in number theory.

But to be honest, you'll never see these functions unless reading quite advanced books in complex analysis or (analytic) number theory.

Just a little curious about the integration part. In which cases do you usually use the polylogarithmic functions when you do integration? Like is there certain types of functions where taking the integral in such a manner is useful?

Byron Chen said:
I haven't thought of the method yet, but the answer looks complicated
<mutter> I tells people the method, I gives them a link to a walkthrough, does anybody follow the link? Hah! When I was young we followed advice oh yes ... we didn't have links: we had to go to these big buildings with papery things in them and thumb through drawers and drawers of small typed cards to find our information and we were better for it <grumble> time for bed...

Byron Chen said:
Just a little curious about the integration part. In which cases do you usually use the polylogarithmic functions when you do integration? Like is there certain types of functions where taking the integral in such a manner is useful?

Well, for example, if you encounter an integral like

[tex]\int \frac{\log(x)}{x}dx[/tex]

then you can solve it using [itex]Li_2(x)[/itex]. Likewise, if you can reduce an integral to that, then you can also solve it.

I'm sure there's more to it, but I'm not an expert on this (by far).

Simon Bridge said:

For a function like log(g(x)) you could be tempted try for g(x)=eh(x)
and realize that log(x)=ln(x)/ln(10).

I would assume the OP was using the mathematician's convention of [itex]\log x = \ln x[/itex] rather than the engineering convention that [itex]\log(x) = \log_{10}(x)[/itex].

micromass said:

For s=2, we get
For s=3, we have

Actually, just to correct a slight mistake, the sum for s =1 gives [itex]\mbox{Li}_1(z) = -\log(1-z)[/itex], and so

[tex]\mbox{Li}_2(x) = - \int_0^x dt~\frac{\ln(1-t)}{t},[/tex]
(reverting to ln notation because I'm using real variables for the integral representation).

On a related note, the definite integral can sometimes be calculated for such functions.

For example [tex] \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} {\ln(\cos(x))dx} = [/tex] *something involving pi and the natural log of 2 (but I don't remember right now). It can be proven using a substitution trick, and trig identities.

Boorglar said:
On a related note, the definite integral can sometimes be calculated for such functions.

For example [tex] \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} {\ln(\cos(x))dx} = [/tex] *something involving pi and the natural log of 2 (but I don't remember right now). It can be proven using a substitution trick, and trig identities.

I think this guy gets the u= x-pi/2 treatment. symmetry :)

What is indefinite integration?

Indefinite integration is the process of finding the general antiderivative of a given function. It is the opposite of taking the derivative of a function.

How is indefinite integration different from definite integration?

Indefinite integration does not have any specified limits of integration, while definite integration involves calculating the area under a curve between specific limits.

What is the general approach for solving indefinite integrals?

The general approach for solving indefinite integrals is to use a combination of integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. It is also important to simplify the integrand as much as possible before attempting to integrate.

How do I handle logarithmic functions in indefinite integration?

To integrate logarithmic functions, we can use the integration by parts technique or the substitution u = ln(x). It is also important to remember the properties of logarithms, such as log(ab) = log(a) + log(b) and log(1) = 0, when integrating.

What are some common mistakes to avoid in indefinite integration?

Some common mistakes to avoid in indefinite integration include forgetting to include the constant of integration, not simplifying the integrand before integrating, and making calculation errors. It is also important to be familiar with basic integration rules and techniques to avoid mistakes.