Indented contour integration + applying jordans lemma

In summary, the conversation is about finding the real integral from negative infinity to positive infinity of [cos(x) - 1]/(x^2) and the use of Jordan's lemma and residue theorem in solving it. The solution involves splitting the integral and using the exp cosx identity, with a removable singularity at z = 0. The reasoning behind indenting the contour and the use of complex analysis in solving this type of problem is also discussed.
MM360

Homework Statement

Hi I am new on here so I am just writing out the question.

Real integral ie from - infinity to + infinity of [cos(x) -1]/(x^2)

2. Homework Equations + solution attempt
I know you have to use the exp cosx idenity and then split the integral.
also it has a removable singularity at z =0 and also the contour has to be indented
I have the ans for this question but my main problem is how this happens

integral of [exp(iz) - 1]/2(z^2) = 0

but the integral of

[exp(-iz)-1]/2(z^2) = pi ( once residue thoerm is applied)

Also could anyone please explain how to apply Jordans lemma to these kind of questions

I have exams soon so any help would be much appreciated :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know this for you is useful or not?

Try using this formula to match it.

Res(f,a)=1/(m-1)!lim(z→a)〖d(m-1)/〖dz〗(m-1) 〗 [(z-a)mf(z)]

m is the pole of the order;a is pole.

After that, give your answer as:

integral of f(z)=2(pi)i(∑n(j=1)〖Res(f;zj)〗)

Last edited:
thanks for the reply - but I am fine with calculating the residue - its the reasoning of why the first integral i mentioned goes to 0

its easier to expand the top in its Taylor expansion and divide to get a residue of i/2pi - this is not a problem only the reasoning

I used cosx = 1/2[exp(ix) + exp(-ix)]

x and z are just dummy variables so that is correct - even the solution has the same thing

its just the indenting contour reasoning I am stuck on

If not going wrong:

:redface: no ! the first integral where got 0 ?:smile:

Are you trouble at e0 is equal to 1 .:tongue:

If not, i am sorry about that because this sem my exam also going with this topic.:shy:

Last edited:
By the triangle inequality we have
[tex]\left|\frac{exp(iz) - 1}{2z^2}\right | \leq \frac{1}{|z|^2}[/tex]
whence the conclusion follows by a simple estimate on the first integral.

The idea in that the singularity is on the contour, and so to counter that you make a small indentation in the form of a semi-circle of radius [tex]\varepsilon[/tex] so that the singularity is outside the contour. You just examine what this gives, it looks to be quite an easy calculation in your case.

This sort of problem has popped up in my research, which is why I know about it. Complex analysis is very useful for waves.

Thanks everyone for the help/replies

I have found the reason why and my lecturer has confirmed it

so i understand it now

1. What is indented contour integration?

Indented contour integration is a mathematical technique used to evaluate integrals that are difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods. It involves deforming the contour of integration into a new shape, often involving a small indented region, in order to simplify the integral.

2. How does indented contour integration work?

Indented contour integration works by using the concept of analytic continuation, which allows us to deform the original contour of integration into a new shape while maintaining the same value of the integral. This new contour is often chosen to avoid singularities or other regions that make the integral difficult to solve.

3. What is Jordan's Lemma?

Jordan's Lemma is a theorem in complex analysis that allows us to evaluate certain integrals using the properties of a contour's behavior near a pole (a point where the function being integrated becomes infinite). It states that if a contour approaches a pole in a specific way, the integral along that contour will approach 0.

4. How is Jordan's Lemma used in indented contour integration?

In indented contour integration, Jordan's Lemma is used to evaluate the integral along the small indented region of the contour. This region is often chosen to contain a pole of the integrand, and by using Jordan's Lemma, we can show that the integral along this region is equal to 0. This simplifies the overall integral and allows us to solve it using other techniques.

5. What are the benefits of using indented contour integration + Jordan's Lemma?

Indented contour integration and Jordan's Lemma are powerful techniques that allow us to evaluate integrals that are otherwise difficult or impossible to solve. They are especially useful for integrals involving complex functions or functions with singularities. Additionally, they can often provide more efficient and accurate solutions compared to traditional methods.