Integrating with indented contour

• Thread starter jimmycricket
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrating
In summary, the task is to evaluate the integral \int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{dx}{x(x^2+x+1)} by integrating the corresponding complex function. The relevant equation is Cauchy's Residue Theorem for a simple pole at a, which states that Res(f;a)=\displaystyle\lim_{z\rightarrow a} (z-a)f(z). The attempt at a solution involved using the definite real integral widget on Wolfram, which showed that the integral does not converge. However, the integral may still converge in the Cauchy Principal Value sense, which takes into account the pole on the path of integration. It is recommended to look into Principal-valued integrals for further
jimmycricket

Homework Statement

Evaluate the following integral by integrating the corresponding complex function.

[itex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{dx}{x(x^2+x+1)}[/itex]

Homework Equations

Cauchy's Residue Theorem for simple pole at a:[itex]Res(f;a)=\displaystyle\lim_{z\rightarrow a} (z-a)f(z)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have used the definite real integral widget on wolfram which states that the integral does not converge. Will I be able to show this is the case by integrating around the semi circular contour indented at 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
jimmycricket said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the following integral by integrating the corresponding complex function.

[itex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{dx}{x(x^2+x+1)}[/itex]

Homework Equations

Cauchy's Residue Theorem for simple pole at a:[itex]Res(f;a)=\displaystyle\lim_{z\rightarrow a} (z-a)f(z)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have used the definite real integral widget on wolfram which states that the integral does not converge. Will I be able to show this is the case by integrating around the semi circular contour indented at 0?

Did you look at it first? I mean plot it say from -10 to 10? Looks to me it has the right shape to converge in the Cauchy Principal Value sense. That is the only way it can converge since it has a pole on the path of integration. Alpha is telling you it diverges in the Riemann sense. Did you try:

Code:
Integrate[1/(x*(x^2 + x + 1)), 
  {x, -Infinity, Infinity}, PrincipalValue -> True]

However, if you're not familiar with Principal-valued integrals, you may want to look that up.

Edit: made a mistake with the function. It's +1 and I corrected it above but still everything I said in regards to the function with -1 applies to this function as well.

Last edited:

What is "Integrating with indented contour"?

"Integrating with indented contour" is a scientific method used to analyze and interpret the shape and structure of an object or surface by studying its contours and features that are set back or indented from the main surface. This technique is commonly used in fields such as geology, geography, and biology to understand the underlying structure and composition of natural objects.

How does "Integrating with indented contour" differ from other contouring methods?

Unlike traditional contouring methods, "Integrating with indented contour" takes into account the depth and shape of indents or depressions in an object's surface, rather than just the height or elevation. This provides a more comprehensive understanding of the object's structure and helps to identify features that may not be visible on the surface.

What tools and techniques are used in "Integrating with indented contour"?

Some common tools used in "Integrating with indented contour" include topographic maps, aerial photographs, satellite imagery, and remote sensing technologies. Techniques such as photogrammetry, LiDAR, and GIS are also commonly used to collect and analyze data for contouring.

What are the applications of "Integrating with indented contour" in scientific research?

"Integrating with indented contour" has a wide range of applications in various scientific fields. It is commonly used in geology to map and understand the structure of landforms, in geography to study the shape of the earth's surface, and in biology to analyze the topography of living organisms. It can also be used in engineering to assess the stability and integrity of structures.

What are the benefits of using "Integrating with indented contour" in scientific research?

Using "Integrating with indented contour" allows for a more detailed and accurate analysis of an object's structure compared to traditional contouring methods. It also enables scientists to identify and map features that may not be visible on the surface, providing a more comprehensive understanding of the object. This technique can also help in identifying potential hazards and predicting future changes in the landscape.