Independent arguments of dilogarithms

• I
  • Thread starter CAF123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Independent
In summary, the speaker has a series of dilogarithms with various arguments and is wondering if it is possible to determine if they are all independent or if they can be reduced to a smaller minimal set. The dilogs are of the form ##\text{Li}_2(X_i)##, where ##X_i## is an argument ##i=1,\dots,10## belonging to a given set. The speaker has tried various transformation laws but has not found a way to relate the arguments to each other. They are seeking a way to simplify the number of dilog arguments, possibly through dilog identities. The possibility of expressing the dilogs in terms of parameters u and w is mentioned, but it is not clear if this
CAF123
Gold Member
I have a series of dilogarithms with various arguments and I was just wondering if it is possible to tell if they are all independent or if there is a way to reduce them to a smaller minimal set?

The dilogs in question are of the form ##\text{Li}_2(X_i)##, where ##X_i## is an argument ##i=1,\dots,10## belonging to the set $$X_i \in \left\{\frac{v - u v}{1 - u v}, \frac{-1 + u v}{-u + u v}, \frac{-1 + u v}{u + u v}, \frac{-v + u v}{-u + u v},\frac{v + u v}{-1 + u v}, \frac{v + u v}{u + u v}, \frac{1 + u}{1-w}, \frac{-1 + u}{u - w}, \frac{1 + u}{u - w}, \frac{-1 + u}{u + w}\right\}$$

I have tried various transformation laws of the dilogs as described in the wolfram pages but none seem to relate the above arguments. Thanks for any comments.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by independent? They are clearly not all independent in terms of statistics - you only have two variables but 10 distributions.
They might be linearly dependent in the vector space of distributions - that should be easy to check with the standard methods.

mfb said:
What do you mean by independent? They are clearly not all independent in terms of statistics - you only have two variables but 10 distributions.
They might be linearly dependent in the vector space of distributions - that should be easy to check with the standard methods.
By ‘independent’, I meant if I could relate any of the dilogs with the above arguments to each other using transformation laws amongst dilogs, as given e.g in wolfram documentation. As far as I can see, they are not related but I have a hunch that they must be so was wondering if you (or anyone) could see a way in which my number of dilogs can be reduced through dilog identities.

With suitable ranges the dilogarithm is bijective, so clearly it is possible, but not necessarily in a useful way.

mfb said:
With suitable ranges the dilogarithm is bijective, so clearly it is possible, but not necessarily in a useful way.
Could you give me an example? I've done some numerical tests and I fail to find a dilog relation between any two arguments presented.
I should also say I'm doing such an exercise from a physics background, the number of dilog arguments I have here exceeds the amount I naively expected in my analysis. However there is a symmetry u->-u and v->-v between pairs and I am wondering if this symmetry protects the reduction of dilog arguments further.

You can always take the inverse dilogarithm to get rid of the dilogarithm. That is probably not what you want, but it is possible. Afterwards it is a "solve for u,v,w" situation with multiple options to do so.

2/(X9-X8) = u-w

1/(1/(2X10) + 1/(2X9) - 1) + 1 = u

Add the dilogarithm and its inverse everywhere.

With that you can express w and u with these things, and find an independent way to express X7.

Thanks, if I understand properly in the example above you found two equations relating some Xi in terms of parameters u,w. Then you can solve for u and w in terms of these Xi which may e.g be subbed into X7 to get this in terms of other Xi. This is one manner of simplification but indeed,as you surmised, not the one I was looking for since it probably is not the case that there exists dilog relations between the arguments obtained.

Just to be crystal clear about what I want to do: Given an argument Xi I want to find a relation e.g. $$\text{Li}_2(X_i) = \text{Li}_2 \left(\frac{1}{1-X_i}\right) + \dots,$$ where 1/(1-Xi) will coincide with some Xj for suitable i and j. I have hacked up lots of dilog identities and I fail to find a case where e.g 1/(1-Xi) will coincide with an Xj.

1. What are independent arguments of dilogarithms?

The independent arguments of dilogarithms are complex numbers that appear as arguments of the dilogarithm function, which is a special function in mathematics that is defined as the integral of the logarithm of a complex number. In simpler terms, they are numbers that are used as inputs for the dilogarithm function.

2. How do independent arguments of dilogarithms differ from other types of arguments?

Independent arguments of dilogarithms differ from other types of arguments in that they have a specific range of values that they can take. These values are not limited to real numbers, but can also include complex numbers. Additionally, independent arguments of dilogarithms are used in the context of special functions and mathematical calculations, whereas other types of arguments may have other uses and interpretations.

3. What applications do independent arguments of dilogarithms have?

Independent arguments of dilogarithms have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used in the study of special functions and their properties, as well as in the calculation of complex integrals and solving differential equations. They also have applications in quantum field theory, statistical mechanics, and the analysis of physical systems with logarithmic interactions.

4. Are there any notable properties of independent arguments of dilogarithms?

Yes, there are several notable properties of independent arguments of dilogarithms that make them useful in mathematical calculations. For example, they have a symmetry property, which means that the dilogarithm function is invariant under certain transformations of its arguments. They also have a branch cut, which is a discontinuity in the function that is caused by a choice of branch of the complex logarithm. Understanding these properties is important for accurately using independent arguments of dilogarithms in calculations.

5. How are independent arguments of dilogarithms related to the Riemann zeta function?

The Riemann zeta function is closely related to the dilogarithm function, as it can be expressed in terms of dilogarithms and other special functions. In particular, the Riemann zeta function can be written as a sum of dilogarithms, which makes use of the independent arguments of dilogarithms. This relationship allows for the evaluation of certain values of the Riemann zeta function and can be used to prove important theorems in number theory and analysis.