Independent functions as solutions

In summary, the conversation discusses the three independent functions found as solutions for the Cauchy equation, namely r^2, r^(-3), and (1/7)r^6. However, it is noted that a second order linear differential equation should only have two independent solutions. The incorrectness of (1/7)r^6 as a solution is explained by showing that it does not satisfy the properties of a linear and homogeneous equation. Therefore, it cannot be considered a valid solution.
Sathish678
TL;DR Summary
I found three independent functions as solutions for this equation
d/dr(r^2dR/dr) = 6R (cauchy equation)
r^2 , r^(-3) , (1/7)r^6.
I found three independent functions as solutions for this equation
d/dr(r^2dR/dr) = 6R (cauchy equation)
r^2 , r^(-3) , (1/7)r^6.
But i read that a second order linear differential eqn has only two independent solutions.
Why this happened?

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]\frac17 r^6[/itex] is not a solution. If it were, then as the equation is linear and homogenous [itex]r^6[/itex] must itself be a solution. It is not: [tex]
\frac{d}{dr} \left(r^2 \frac{d}{dr}(r^6) \right) = \frac{d}{dr} \left( 6 r^7 \right) = 42r^6 \neq 6r^6.[/tex]

Likes Sathish678
In a bit mote detail, if [itex]R= \frac{1}{7}r^6[/itex] then [itex]\frac{dR}{dr}= \frac{6}{7}r^5[/itex]. So [itex]r^2\frac{dR}{dr}= \frac{6}{7}r^7[/itex] and then [itex]\frac{d}{dr}\left(r^2\frac{dR}{dr}\right)= 6r^6[/itex]. That is NOT equal to 6R because it is missing the "[itex]\frac{1}{7}[/itex]".

Last edited:

1. What are independent functions as solutions?

Independent functions as solutions refer to mathematical functions that do not depend on each other to produce a solution. In other words, the output of one function does not affect the output of another function.

2. How do independent functions work?

Independent functions work by taking in an input and producing an output based on a specific set of rules or equations. These functions can be combined to solve complex problems, but their outputs do not affect each other.

3. What are the advantages of using independent functions as solutions?

Using independent functions as solutions allows for a more organized and efficient approach to problem-solving. It also allows for easier troubleshooting and modification of individual functions without affecting the overall solution.

4. Can independent functions be used in real-world applications?

Yes, independent functions are commonly used in various fields such as engineering, economics, and physics to model and solve real-world problems. They provide a systematic and reliable approach to finding solutions.

5. How do I know if my functions are independent?

To determine if functions are independent, you can check if the output of one function changes when you change the input of another function. If there is no change, then the functions are independent. Additionally, if the functions have different variables and do not share any common factors, they are likely independent.