Independent poisson random variables

In summary,- Random variables v_a and v_b are independent if and only if v is a Poisson random variable.- We showed that if two variables X, Y are independent Poisson random variables then X + Y is also a Poisson random variable. - We defined random variables a_1, a_2, \ldots, a_v such that a_j = \left\{\begin{array}{ll}1, & \textrm{if ball j goes into urn A} \\0, & \textrm{if ball j goes into urn B}\end{array}\right.- The a_j's are independent
Monocles

Homework Statement

There are two urns, A and B. Let v be a random number of balls. Each of these balls is put to urn A with probably p and to urn B with probability q = 1 - p. Let v_a and v_b denote the numbers of balls in A and B, respectively. Show that random variables v_a and v_b are independent if and only if v is a Poisson random variable.

Homework Equations

The probability mass function of a Poisson random variable is

55978f02e2b22e9a93943595030ecf64.png

The Attempt at a Solution

We showed in an earlier problem that if two variables X, Y are independent Poisson random variables then X + Y is also a Poisson random variable. Therefore, if v_A and v_B are Poisson random variables, then v must be as well. Noting that v_A + v_B = v, I think that proving that v must be a Poisson random variable might be sufficient, but I also don't know the level of rigor wanted here. It would be easy to show that v CAN be a Poisson random variable, but I don't see how to go about showing that it MUST be. I thought maybe I could show that the basis of "Poisson random variable space" is independent from the basis of "non-Poisson random variable space", but I don't know if those are even sensible ideas.

Random thing I noted that may or may not be relevant:
E(v) = E(v_A) + E(v_B). If v_A and v_B are Poisson random variables then their expectation value is their parameter \lambda.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the following might be a good direction to start with, but I'm pressed for time at the moment so I can't promise that it will bear fruit.

Suppose v is a Poisson random variable. I define random variables [itex]a_1, a_2, \ldots, a_v[/itex] such that

[tex]a_j = \left\{\begin{array}{ll}1, & \textrm{if ball j goes into urn A} \\
0, & \textrm{if ball j goes into urn B}\end{array}\right.[/tex]

The [itex]a_j[/itex]'s are independent, and

[tex]v_A = \sum_{j=1}^{v} a_j[/tex]

Then I can obtain the marginal probability mass function for [itex]v_A[/itex] as follows:

[tex]P(v_A = k) = \sum_{m=0}^{\infty} P(v_A = k \quad \cap \quad v = m) = \sum_{m=0}^{\infty}P(v_A = k \quad | \quad v = m) P(v = m)[/tex]

and similarly for [itex]v_B[/itex]. The right-hand side should be straightforward from here.

So that gets you the marginal distributions, and now you need the joint distribution, and to show that [itex]v_A[/itex] and [itex]v_B[/itex] are statistically independent, i.e.,

[tex]P(v_A = k \quad \cap \quad v_B = n) = P(v_A = k) P(v_B = n)[/tex]

If no one else chimes in, and you still need ideas, I'll try to write more later this evening.

This helped a lot - but I still don't see how to prove that ONLY Poisson random variables will work.

Monocles said:
This helped a lot - but I still don't see how to prove that ONLY Poisson random variables will work.

I'm not sure how to prove that. I may be way off base, but my guess is that you could make some headway using characteristic functions. The argument would start as follows:

Suppose [itex]v_A[/itex] and [itex]v_B[/itex] are independent. Then

[tex]\phi_v(t) = \phi_{v_A}(t) \phi_{v_B}(t)[/tex]

where the notation

[tex]\phi_x(t)[/tex] denotes the characteristic function of the random variable [itex]x[/itex], defined as

[tex]\phi_x(t) = E[e^{itx}] = \sum_k e^{itk} P(x = k)[/tex]

You could then use (deriving if not presumed known) the characteristic functions for binomial and Poissan random variables, which are

[tex](1 - p + pe^{it})^{n}[/tex] (binomial with n trials and probability p per trial)

and

[tex]e^{\lambda(e^{it}-1)}[/tex] (Poisson with parameter [itex]\lambda[/itex])

This isn't the whole story, because [itex]v_A[/itex] and [itex]v_B[/itex] are only conditionally binomial, given a fixed value of [itex]v[/itex], but it seems like it might be a promising avenue to try. [Of course, if this is for a class and you haven't covered characteristic functions yet, then scratch that idea...]

Yeah, it is for class, and we haven't gotten to characteristic functions yet. I ended up just throwing in what I had and mentioning something about the space of non-Poisson random variables hopefully not being so large that it could be dense in the space of Poisson random variables, but I was definitely just talking out of my ***.

Hmm, I guess without characteristic functions, you would make the analogous argument using probability mass functions, except the math might be grungier:

Suppose [itex]v_A[/itex] and [itex]v_B[/itex] are independent. Then the pmf of [itex]v[/itex] is the convolution of the pmfs of [itex]v_A[/itex] and [itex]v_B[/itex]:

[tex]P(v = k) = \sum_n P(v_A = n) P(v_B = k - n)[/tex]

and you would write

[tex]P(v_A = n) = \sum_j P(v_A = n \quad | v = j) P(v = j)[/tex]

and similarly for [itex]v_B[/itex]

Then use the fact that [itex]v_A[/itex] and [itex]v_B[/itex] are conditionally binomial, given [itex]v = j[/itex]. Hopefully you could then do a bunch of simplification and solve for [itex]P(v = k)[/itex] and show it to be Poisson.

If you get a chance, I'll be curious to know if that's the solution your instructor gives, or if there is a simpler way.

1. What is an independent Poisson random variable?

An independent Poisson random variable is a type of random variable that follows the Poisson distribution and is not affected by the values of other random variables. This means that the occurrence of an event in one variable does not impact the occurrence of an event in another variable.

2. How is the Poisson distribution used to model independent random variables?

The Poisson distribution is often used to model independent random variables because it describes the probability of a certain number of events occurring within a specific time or space interval. This makes it useful for modeling random phenomena that occur independently of each other.

3. What are some real-world examples of independent Poisson random variables?

Examples of independent Poisson random variables include the number of customers entering a store in a given hour, the number of cars passing through a toll booth in a given minute, and the number of phone calls received by a call center in a given day.

4. How can the independence of Poisson random variables be tested?

The independence of Poisson random variables can be tested through statistical methods such as correlation analysis or the use of contingency tables. These methods can help determine if there is a relationship between the variables or if they are truly independent.

5. What are the limitations of using independent Poisson random variables?

While the Poisson distribution is a useful tool for modeling independent random variables, it does have some limitations. For example, it assumes that the events occur at a constant rate and that the occurrences are independent of each other. These assumptions may not hold in all situations, which can impact the accuracy of the model.