1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Indeterminant forms homework help

1. Feb 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

lim{x[itex]\rightarrow∞[/itex]} sqrt(x^(2)+5x+11)-x
    2. Relevant equations

I know it is of type ∞-∞

3. The attempt at a solution

I have worked this problem around to death, and I know I'm supposed to give them a common denominator to get ∞/∞ and use L'Hospital's Rule, but I end up with ∞-∞ in the numerator or the denominator every time. Professor never went over problems this complex in class, and now we are too far ahead of this section to ask her to waste time going back to it.

I know the answer is 2.5 (graphing calculator), but my problem is figuring out how to work it.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try multiplying and dividing by sqrt(x^(2)+5x+11)+x. It's the 'conjugate' trick. It will turn out you don't really even need l'Hopital. You can do it all with algebra.

4. Feb 5, 2013 #3

CAF123

Gold Member

You are right you can use i'Hopital but after one differentiation, use: $$\sqrt{x^2 + 5x + 11} = \sqrt{x^2} \sqrt{1 + 5/x + 11/x^2}, $$ simplify and cancel terms and then take x → ##\infty##.

5. Feb 5, 2013 #4
    Thanks guys! I knew it had something to do with the conjugate, but for some reason I had trouble remembering just how it worked. I've worked it out now though, thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook