Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Index Notation question

1. Sep 21, 2015 #1
    I am having trouble showing that ##(A_{ik}B_{kj})_{mm} = (A_{ki}B_{jk})_{mm}##

Wouldn't the right side end up having a different outcome? Or can we assume its symmetric?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2015 #2

Mentz114

Gold Member

It is true for the anti-symmetric part also because the sign change cancels.

4. Sep 21, 2015 #3
    anti-symmetric?

5. Sep 21, 2015 #4

Mentz114

Gold Member

Yes, I think so. A and B can be decomposed into symmetric and anti-symmetric parts.
    For the antisymmetric part
    ##A_{ik}B_{kj}=(-A_{ki})(-B_{jk})##

[Edit]

Is there a 'raised' index here ?

##{A_i}^k B_{kj}##

6. Sep 22, 2015 #5

gill1109

Gold Member

It would help if you would explain your notation.

I suppose that you are using Einstein summation convention. And that when you write (A_{ik}B_{kj}) you mean, the matrix whose i,j element is sum_k (A_{ik}B_{kj}). In other words, the ij element of the matrix AB. Now you want to sum over m the m,m elements of that matrix, so you are talking about trace(AB).

Similarly on the right hand side, replace i and j both by m and m, sum over m and sum over k, and you see that what you have written is just trace(AB).

7. Sep 23, 2015 #6

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, I would say that the right hand side is trace(BA), but that is always equal to trace(AB).

8. Sep 23, 2015 #7

gill1109

Gold Member

Thank you! You are right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook