Index of refraction and speed of light.

In summary, the conversation discusses the speed of light in a medium with index of refraction n=1.2 and how it would change in a medium with n=1.6. The correct answer should be 0.75 c1, but the provided options do not include this answer. The person also asks for help finding review materials for A-level physics for preparation for university entrance exams.
jakey
Oh btw, this is not a homework question! just got it somewhere.
Light travels in a medium of n=1.2 at c1. what is its speed in a medium of n=1.6?

a)1.3c1
b)0.67c1
c)2c1
d)1.7c1
e)0.55c1

my solution:
using n=c/v, 1.2 = c/c1. also, 1.6=c/c2. c2= c/1.6. but c=1.2c1

So, c2=(1.2/1.6) c1=0.75c1. but it isn't in the choices. any help? thanks

also, do you know where i can find review materials for a-level physics (this is like UK based)? I am preparing for university entrance exams. thanks!:>

Physics news on Phys.org
Your reasoning is correct, the answer should be 0.75 c1.
Are you sure you copied all the numbers correctly?

CompuChip said:
Your reasoning is correct, the answer should be 0.75 c1.
Are you sure you copied all the numbers correctly?

i'm so sure that's why I'm so confused. however, 1.6/1.2=1.3 and its in the choices.

That's why I asked you to check the question.. if you'd interchange the 1.2 and 1.6, then the answer is there.

What is the index of refraction?

The index of refraction is a measure of how much light is bent, or refracted, when it passes through a material. It is defined as the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in the material.

How does the index of refraction affect the speed of light?

The higher the index of refraction, the slower the speed of light in the material. This is because the light is interacting with the atoms or molecules in the material, causing it to slow down.

What factors can affect the index of refraction?

The index of refraction can be affected by the density, temperature, and composition of the material. It can also be affected by the wavelength of the light passing through it.

Can the index of refraction be greater than 1?

Yes, the index of refraction can be greater than 1. This is typically the case for materials such as glass, water, and diamond, which have higher indexes of refraction than air.

How is the speed of light related to the index of refraction?

The speed of light in a material can be calculated by dividing the speed of light in a vacuum by the index of refraction of that material. This allows us to determine how fast light will travel in a given material.