Indian parents scale new heights to help kids cheat

In summary, the video shows disgraceful cheating in an Indian school. The article has multiple issues, and suggests that cheating is common in Indian schools.
pvk21 said:
good institution you mean IIT.well you can't have IIT everywhere.
I was actually talking about iit entrance coaching centres. That's the only way to get good teachers.

Physics news on Phys.org
dx said:
Well, you can't really compare that to math and physics though. For example, I know Maxwell's equations, not because I memorized them, but because I have used them many many many times. It is not the same kind of memorization. The math and physics tests are also much more sane in this sense, because it is not uncommon to give a list of required formulas at the beginning of the test, to save the students the trouble of memorizing them.
Sure. I'm just not so sure that rises to the level of international news.

The fact that its international news doesn't necessarily imply that that is the biggest problem with the educational system. News tends to be more concerned with sensationalism. Even if there was no cheating of the form mentioned, the system would be just as bad.

The real problem is the disproportionate importance given to exams over education, and also rote learning and memorization over real understanding.

dx said:
The fact that its international news...
Actually, I think the photo of people climbing a wall is the news, not the cheating itself. I can't judge whether the cheating is more or less significant than in the US, but I can say that regard for safety is greater in the US.

Ex-Chief minister feels sorry for eople having to climb walls
This is what an Ex-Chief minister had to say about the cheating that took place during board exams recently in Bihar. If you were shocked when you saw @Evo 's post, then get ready for something even more shocking.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...ours-open-book-examination/article7024321.ece

lalu_2350800e.jpg

Wow...I knew Bihar is very underdevelope state..but this..

Yes, this is disgraceful. The Economist had a section on it as well. But I don't think it ever came out on any Indian media.

BTW not sure how many of you have read Freakonomics ? Cheating is not so uncommon in Western countries either, although it may not be done in such a crude way :wink:

Likes AdityaDev
Greg Bernhardt said:
The parents scaling the walls of the school is quite alarming. The superintendent must be blind.
They will go blind if you pay them to.

Likes AdityaDev
http://m.thehindu.com/news/national/cow-issued-admit-card-by-jk-authorities-to-write-exam/article7164837.ece/

In another state, a cow gets to write a professional exam. So how will the cow cheat ?

In a strange turn of events, a cow was issued an admit card by authorities to write a professional entrance examination next week here.

The admit card for the entrance examination for Diploma in Polytechnic was issued by Board of Professional Entrance Examinations (BOPEE) in the name of Kachir Gaaw (Brown Cow) who is supposedly daughter of Gura Dand (Red Bull).

The cow was allotted a seat at the Government Degree College, Bemina for writing the examination scheduled to be held on May 10.

“All the applications are now made online. There is an image recognition software which does not differentiate between a human face and an animal picture. Someone has played a prank,” Mir said.

Mir, however, said BOPEE will file a complaint against the prankster. “We will track down the IP address of the person who has played this prank,” he added.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes AdityaDev and Evo