Designing new advanced physics course and I could use your help

In summary, a high school physics teacher in upstate NY is seeking input on designing a new physics course that combines academic rigor with fun. The course would explore physics through literature, historical works, and media sources. The target population is students who have completed AP Physics and have a passion for the subject. The teacher is open to suggestions for literature and media, and is considering a format similar to a humanities course on medieval engineering. One suggestion is a "history of physics" course that includes re-creating experiments and discussing related math. Another suggestion is Caveman Chemistry, which has been discussed in the past on CHEMED-L. However, the teacher is unsure if asking students to read a whole book would be feasible and welcomes any other suggestions for
cormoo
I am a high school physics teacher in upstate NY. I am designing a new physics course and could use your help.

I felt this forum was the best place for this post as the only other forum that may fit is the teacher sub forum, however, it appears to be little used and I would like input from anyone.​

Somewhere in the back of my mind I have thought about an advanced level physics class for high school students to be able to explore the world of physics through literature, historical works and moments of scientific discovery, and possibly through media sources such as documentaries, tv shows, and movies.

The target population is for students which have completed and passed AP Physics. This class is designed to help spawn and foster deep scientific thought through classroom discussion and written essays.

The class will be a full year half credit class. If you are not familiar with what that means, think of it as a half year, or semester class, taken throughout the year. For my school this would be one period, every other day. The class is designed to be taken in conjunction with other science classes not to replace them.

The students that end up taking this class would have already had me once before and would be in there because they already have a passion for physics. As you can imagine they are full of questions about all of the awesome physics you see on tv and in books.

My struggle is that I am having a hard time designing something that combines a high level of academic demand and fun.

For example, I know I would love for the kids to read a book and then have a series of discussions on the book and the physics within, and then a follow up essay.

Maybe we could watch a documentary and do the same.

The closest thing I can relate this to is another class in our school, American Film and Lit. In that class they explore work of fill and literature that helped shape America.

So... After that long explanation... What I am hoping from you fine folks:

Have any of you taken a class that sounds similar to what I describe?

Do you have any literature suggestions that would fit the bill? Media?

Do you think a class of this description would seem like a class you would want to take?

Do you have anything else you could add that would help?​

I really just want to create a course for my eager physics students, so really any suggestions are welcomed!

And yup - this is my first post! Thanks for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
One of my humanities courses that I took my first year in college was on medieval engineering. We learned about interesting people and theories, how they stumbled onto various ideas and such. It was a really interesting course. There was essentially no math beyond the most basic algebra which was only used to explain small things, the focus of the course was on the ideas themselves and what other ideas they opened up.

I think that a "history of physics" course with a little bit of rigor would be fantastic. Students could learn about discoveries, perhaps even re-create certain experiments, and discuss/perform the related math. Especially in physics, there are just so many interesting people that you could talk about.

Not exactly answering your questions, but partially related. Have you heard about Caveman chemistry?

I think I remember similar concepts being discussed at CHEMED-L in the past, but I don't remember if any course was finally designed around these ideas.

I wonder if asking students to read a whole book will work. Some excerpt perhaps, or a short story.

1. How do you determine the level of difficulty for an advanced physics course?

The level of difficulty for an advanced physics course is typically determined by the complexity of the concepts and mathematical equations covered in the course. It is also important to consider the background knowledge and skills of the students who will be taking the course.

2. What topics should be included in an advanced physics course?

An advanced physics course should cover a wide range of topics, including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and relativity. It is also beneficial to include practical applications and current research in the field.

3. How can you make an advanced physics course engaging and interactive?

To make an advanced physics course engaging and interactive, it is important to incorporate hands-on experiments, demonstrations, and real-world examples into the curriculum. Group projects, discussions, and problem-solving activities can also enhance student engagement.

4. What resources can be used to supplement an advanced physics course?

There are many resources that can be used to supplement an advanced physics course, such as textbooks, online simulations, videos, and articles from scientific journals. Guest speakers and field trips to research facilities can also provide valuable insights and hands-on experiences.

5. How can you assess student understanding in an advanced physics course?

Assessment methods for an advanced physics course may include exams, quizzes, lab reports, and projects. It is also important to provide opportunities for students to demonstrate their understanding through problem-solving activities and discussions. Regular feedback and open communication with students can also help gauge their understanding and address any areas of confusion or difficulty.