Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Indian parents scale new heights to help kids cheat

1. Mar 22, 2015 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2015 #2
    This is common in a few middle eastern countries as well. Where I come from, parents drive around schools with megaphones, assisting their kids during exams, with no legal repercussions. This is never reported, though.
    Sadly, in some third world countries, a lot of parents do go to great lengths for good grades, missing the whole point of exams and education.

4. Mar 22, 2015 #3

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

?
    Not as subtle as what goes on in this country, perhaps, but, sadly, very believable.

5. Mar 22, 2015 #4
  6. Mar 22, 2015 #5

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There are bigger problems with the Indian educational system than cheating. For example, the subject "geography" in class 10 partly consists of the memorization of the temperatures and type of soil conditions which are appropriate for the growth of around a hundred plants. (I have cheated in such tests too, #YOLO)

To be fair, the syllabus for subjects like mathematics and physics are pretty good.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  7. Mar 22, 2015 #6

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Mar 23, 2015 #7
    I'm an Indian. Cheating is very common in such states (like Bihar). In India, there are some states which are underdeveloped. The students would do anything to pass the exams . Also, the people in Bihar behave very badly. Its not a safe place (especially for women). (But there are good people from Bihar as well like my physics teacher. He motivated me to work hard).
    :oldeek:
    But at least children in india dont carry pistols with them. below is a list of shootings that take place in American school. I couldn't believe my eyes when i saw this
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States
    .Every country is bad in some way.

9. Mar 23, 2015 #8

russ_watters

It's a lot simpler (not to mention safer!) if instead of allowing the cheating, the teachers just do the cheating for the students:
    http://6abc.com/archive/9531036/

10. Mar 23, 2015 #9
    This is also common in India. The teachers replace the actual answer sheet with their answer sheets.

11. Mar 23, 2015 #10
    No kidding? I didn't realise this kind of cheating was so common :/

12. Mar 23, 2015 #11

OCR

In reality, you probably shouldn't...

40px-Ambox_important.svg.png
    [hide]This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page.
    This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2015)
    This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (February 2015)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States

13. Mar 23, 2015 #12
    Reminds me of a time in which a friend of mine cheated in Geography in middle school and the teacher nearly killed him. She was raging so hard and hysterical over him cheating. She sent him to hell and everything. She was like: "IF I GO TO YOUR SIT AND YOU ARE CHEATING YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE IT! LIFT YOUR BACKPACK THIS INSTANT AND SHOW ME WHAT'S BELOW!" Meanwhile everyone was trying really hard to contain their laugh. After getting kicked out of the classroom on the exam he became the laughing point of the class for a whole week. For a few days she didn't accept him in the class and he came to me to copy the material that was discussed. She was really mad (her face all red and everything), other teachers had to intervene in the following days to calm her down.

I'll never forget the whole drama. :rolleyes:

14. Mar 23, 2015 #13
    It's a very poor eyesight.
    It happened at my high school and I'm sure it still happens everywhere. Old leaked standard exams everywhere. Not that I needed them anyway. (I hope I don't sound arrogant here, I really didn't need them)

15. Mar 23, 2015 #14
    in my old school, a girl was caught helping her friend and she was scolded by the school principal and the teachers. she went home and set herself on fire.

16. Mar 23, 2015 #15
    common... but does not happen in every part of my country.

17. Mar 23, 2015 #16
    The parents scaling the walls of the school is quite alarming. The superintendent must be blind.

18. Mar 23, 2015 #17
    This is really unbelievable.well I am from India as well but never saw cheating this much.

19. Mar 23, 2015 #18
    Well this is reason why most people in India are unemployed.

20. Mar 23, 2015 #19

Evo

India is a huge country and I would imagine that practices and what is acceptable vary greatly from one region to another, this is by no means indicative of the entire country/

21. Mar 23, 2015 #20
    Yep India is huge country.but believe me people in India are very narrow minded.I hate this the most

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook