1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induced EMF and a circular loop of wire

1. Apr 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 25-turn circular loop of wire has a diameter of 1m. In 0.2 seconds it is flipped 180 degrees at a location where the magnitude of the Earth's magnetic field is 50 micro T. What is the emf generated in the loop?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    When I use NABwsin(wt)=V, I get zero. When I use -(dB/dt)(A)=V, I get a non-zero number. I believe the 2nd equation works but why doesn't the first work?

Thanks for any help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2010 #2
    Where does the first equation come from? If you used d/dt[BA] = V is B changing?
  4. Apr 25, 2010 #3
    Thanks for the reply. NABwsin(wt)=V comes from taking the derivative of NABcos(wt)=magnetic flux. The 2nd equation should be taking into account the change in angle. Shouldn't both equations lead to the same answer?
  5. Apr 25, 2010 #4
    I believe they should. How did you get 0 for the first equation? I do not get 0.
  6. Apr 25, 2010 #5
    Show the work on both because when I use the 2nd equation all that happens is I derive the first equation.
  7. Apr 25, 2010 #6
    sin(wt) when t=(.2) equals 0.

Hm..I think I'm not using the equation correctly?
  8. Apr 25, 2010 #7
    Doh! I see what you mean :/.
  9. Apr 25, 2010 #8
    Here's my thoughts: By plugging in wt only for the final time, you only are calculating the emf produced at that instant. So maybe you should use:

V = -d/dt(BA) = -[BA(Final) - BA(Initial)]/[t(Final) - t(Initial)]

sorry cannot get fraction in latex to work, I am a newb.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  10. Apr 25, 2010 #9

V = -\frac{d}{dt}[BA] = -[\frac{BA_f - BA_i}{t_f - t_i}]

I did it in latex :).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook