Inductance for an arbitrary shape coil composed of single loops

In summary, the conversation discusses estimating the inductance of a coil with an arbitrary shape and multiple single loops. The inductance of a single loop is well-known, but the inductance of a coil composed of these loops requires taking into account the self-inductances and mutual inductances between all the coils.
eastblue
Dear all,

I would like to estimate the inductance of a rather arbitrarily shaped coil composed of multiple single loops. For example, I am wondering about the inductance of sandglass like coil which has many turns at the edge and less in the middle.

The inductance of a single loop seems to be well-known. How can I find out the inductance of a coil composed of these single loops? Would it be just a simple sum of them? Do I need to consider the mutual inductance between single loops as well?

Thank you in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You add self-inductances (assuming the coils are in series) and, yes, then take into account the mutual inductances between every pair of coils.

1. What is inductance?

Inductance is a property of an electrical circuit that describes its ability to store energy in the form of a magnetic field.

2. How is inductance measured?

Inductance is measured in units called henries (H). It can be measured using specialized instruments such as an inductance meter or by using mathematical formulas.

3. What factors affect the inductance of a coil?

The inductance of a coil is affected by its physical dimensions, number of turns, and the material it is made of. The presence of nearby conductive or magnetic materials can also impact inductance.

4. What is an arbitrary shape coil?

An arbitrary shape coil is a coil that does not have a traditional circular, rectangular, or square shape. It can have any irregular shape and can be made up of single loops or multiple loops.

5. How is inductance calculated for an arbitrary shape coil composed of single loops?

The inductance of an arbitrary shape coil composed of single loops can be calculated using the formula L = μN²A / ℓ, where L is the inductance in henries, μ is the permeability of the coil's core material, N is the number of turns, A is the cross-sectional area of the coil, and ℓ is the length of the coil.