Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inductance of hollow conductor (copper pipe)

1. Feb 20, 2013 #1
    Hi Everyone,

I'm working on some inductance calculations and was wondering if anyone knows of any formulas (or methods) to determine the inductance of a straight piece of copper pipe, if the ID, wall thickness, and length are known? The closest thing I have found so far was the inductance of a straight conductor but the formula assumes it is solid.

Any help/pointers appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jason O

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2013 #2
    Update:

Doing some snooping around, I found an equation which relates the inductance to the total Flux and current:

[itex]L = \frac{\Phi}{i}[/itex]

I also found an equation in my physics book, which gives the flux density at a point inside a cylindrical conductor, using this formula:

[itex]B = \frac{\mu_0 i}{4r}[/itex]

Where:

r is the radius inside the tube where the B field is to be calculated
    i is the current through the tube (assuming even current density distribution)

I reasoned that I could calculate the total flux through the cross section by integrating B over the radius of the tube from a to b, assuming a is the inside radius, and b is the outside radius. So I got to this point here:

[itex]\Phi = \frac {\mu_0 i}{4} \int ^{b}_{a}\frac{1}{r} dr = \frac {\mu_0 i}{4} [Ln(b) - Ln(a)][/itex]

Combining the above result with the first equation, I get:

[itex]L = \frac{\frac {\mu_0 i}{4} [Ln(b) - Ln(a)]}{i} = \frac {\mu_0}{4} [Ln(b) - Ln(a)][/itex]

However, I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with this equation as it doesn't take into account the length of the hollow copper tube. Can anyone see what I did wrong here?

Thanks,
    Jason O

4. Feb 21, 2013 #3
    Your equation yields "henry/meter" or inductance per unit length. Multiplying your answer by the length should give the actual inductance, assuming a mistake was not made in deriving it. The Ln(b) - ln(a) can be expressed as ln(b/a), which is dimensionless. The mu factor has units of henry/meter. So your answer is in henry/meter.

Claude

5. Feb 21, 2013 #4
    Hi Claude,

Thank you very much for the input. That does make sense now that I think about it.

I did notice there was a booboo in one of the equations so I needed to redo it again.

The equation for the magnetic field inside of a conductor is supposed to be

[itex]B = \frac{\mu_0 i}{2\pi r}[/itex]

Also, after asking around more about this problem, I was given an old Physics II exam where there was an expression derived for the B field inside any point in the hollow conducting tube. It looks different that the equation I came up with but here it is:

[itex]B = \frac{\mu_0 i}{2\pi r}(\frac{r^2-a^2}{b^2-a^2})[/itex]

Where:

r is the radius inside the tube where the B field is to be calculated
    i is the current through the tube (assuming even current density distribution)
    a = tube inner radius
    b = tube outer radius

So, Integrating this from a to b to get the flux, I get:

[itex]\Phi = \frac{-(2a^2Ln(a)-a^2(2Ln(b)+1)+b^2)i\mu_0}{4\pi(a^2-b^2)}[/itex]

Dividing out the current, i to get the inductance per unit length, I get:

[itex]L = \frac{-(2a^2Ln(a)-a^2(2Ln(b)+1)+b^2)\mu_0}{4\pi(a^2-b^2)}[/itex]

Based on Claude's comment, I'll simple add a length term to specify the length of the tube. Also, rearranging terms to remove the minus sign and separate constants, I get this as my final equation:

[itex]L = \frac{\mu_0l}{4\pi}\frac{2a^2Ln(a)-a^2(2Ln(b)+1)+b^2}{b^2-a^2}[/itex]

So that is my final answer. If anyone sees any mistakes here, please let me know.

Thanks!
    Jason O

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  6. Feb 23, 2013 #5
    Hi Jason

You need to read up on "Skin effect"
    Try Google for starters.
    A pulse, or any high-frequency signal, tends to send current on the outer SURFACE of a conductor. Whether the "energy flow" is "inside" or "outside and guided by" the conductor is a question philosophers labour over!
    The upshot is the "inductance" (Henrys) is a function of how QUICK is the rate-of change!!

The current is in the form of TRAVELLING WAVES surging back and forth along the conductor and (at hig hfrequency ) may reverse in DIRECTION with radius.

You are right to use a hollow pipe as all the current (nearly all of it!) is on the
    SURFACE (good for lightning conductors too because of the ultra-fast pulses)

Your pipe is not an inductor - it is a TRANSMISSION LINE with its own impedance, group and phase velocities.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook