1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induction heating theory clarification

1. Nov 1, 2011 #1
    Hi all,

I'm trying to understand induction heating, specifically if there can be inductive heating without a coil, simply power applied through a hairpin-shaped resistor. Imagine a big hair-pin-shaped resistor with power applied to one leg - near the bottom of these legs are small metal pieces. Is there any way the metal pieces can be heated by induction through such a setup? I'm a mechanical engineer, so electrical stuff was long ago and far away!

Thanks!

Patty

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2011 #2
    Potentially, I guess it could happen...depending on the current level and the closeness in space...

Assuming that you are using AC through your resistor, one could say that you have a 1-turn coil, and so, it will induce currents on neighboring steel pieces...it is just that it will probably not be a very large current.

When induction heating is done on purpose, one makes sure to have A LOT of current (ampere-turns), by putting a lot of turns of low resistance without having to put out a large current (amperes).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook