Induction - in two parallel wires - affecting voltage?

• Thread starter Hyo X
  • Start date
Hypothetical, Two parallel wires, wire 1 and wire 2. Trying to understand my system.
A) Wire 1 has a constant current which is being driven by a V and power supply.
Is there a current in wire 2 if the current in Wire 1 is constant?

B) Wires A and B both have current flowing through them. Does the magnitude of the current in 2 depend on the current in 1?

C)Does the voltage drop over wire 2 change depending on the steady state magnitude of current in wire 1?

Answers and Replies

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

No. Without an alternating current there is no changing magnetic field and hence no induction.

B) Wires A and B both have current flowing through them. Does the magnitude of the current in 2 depend on the current in 1?

It does not.

C)Does the voltage drop over wire 2 change depending on the steady state magnitude of current in wire 1?

Nope.

Hypothetical, Two parallel wires, wire 1 and wire 2. Trying to understand my system.

First, understand that the dependence of the current in wire 2 could be dependent upon only changes in the current of the wire 1 with a few odd exceptions. The current in wire 2 could be completely independent of that in wire 1 if wire 2 is driven by a constant current source.

In general, this is not a simple question, if say, the resistance of wire 2 is dependent upon an applied magnetic field due to wire 1. I will treat it as a simple.

To answer, I'll assume that wire 2 is a closed loop without a driving voltage or current source unless implied otherwise.

A) Wire 1 has a constant current which is being driven by a V and power supply.

no, the constant current wire 1 generates no changing magnetic field to effect the electric current in wire 2.

no. the current flowing in wire 2 does not depend on the current in wire 1, but how much the current in wire 1 changes over time. The current in wire 2 certainly depends on how much the current in wire 1 changes.

C) Does the voltage drop over wire 2 change depending on the steady state magnitude of current in wire 1?

nope, and it seems Drakkith and I agree on all points.

Last edited: