Induction motor fed from rotor.

In summary, if an induction motor is fed from the rotor side with a 50HZ frequency supply through slip rings and the stator windings are connected to variable resistances, the rotor will turn in the direction of the quasi-stationary magnetic field in the stator. However, this setup may cause additional wear and cooling issues due to the use of slip rings and changes in the location of coil losses. Additionally, there are some induction motors that have a wound stator inside a hollow rotor, with only one end having a unibearing and output shaft.
ajith.mk91
What will happen if an induction motor is fed from rotor side. I mean if i supply say 50HZ frequency supply to rotor through slip rings and have my stator windings connected to variable resistances will the rotor start to rotate and if it does in which direction?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The beauty of a normal induction motor is that the rotor is unpowered, and slip rings are not required. These are usually the components, besides bearings, that wear out first. The other important feature is that they are quasi-synchronous.

If the rotor is now powered, slip rings will be required. If you have a 3-phase armature with windings and with 3 slip rings, the rotor will turn in whichever direction the effective magnetic field in the stator is quasi-stationary. Do not forget to use a squirrel cage in the stator, as well as use thin laminated steel in the magnetic circuit. Another problem here is that now the I2R coil losses are now in the armature, not the stator, and the armature is harder to cool.

I have seen small unibearing induction motors (I think maybe shaded pole) where the wound stator is inside a hollow rotor (with squirrel cage). The unibearing (probably sleeve) and output shaft are only at one end.

1. What is an induction motor fed from rotor?

An induction motor fed from rotor is a type of motor in which the power is supplied to the rotor instead of the stator. This type of motor is also known as a wound rotor induction motor.

2. How does an induction motor fed from rotor work?

In this type of motor, the stator windings are connected to the power supply while the rotor windings are connected to a set of slip rings. The power is then transferred from the stator to the rotor through the slip rings. The rotor windings act as a secondary winding, inducing a magnetic field that interacts with the stator's magnetic field to produce rotation.

3. What are the advantages of using an induction motor fed from rotor?

One advantage is that it allows for speed control by varying the resistance in the rotor windings. This type of motor also has a higher starting torque and lower starting current compared to a squirrel cage induction motor. Additionally, it can handle high overload conditions without overheating.

4. What are the applications of an induction motor fed from rotor?

This type of motor is commonly used in applications that require variable speed control, such as cranes, hoists, and elevators. It is also used in industries where high starting torque is needed, such as in the mining industry.

5. How is maintenance and repair of an induction motor fed from rotor performed?

Maintenance and repair of this type of motor are similar to that of a squirrel cage induction motor. However, in addition to the stator, the rotor also needs to be inspected for any damage or wear on the slip rings and brushes. These components may need to be replaced periodically to ensure proper functioning of the motor.