Proof of 1 + 3 + 5 + ... + (2n -1) = n2

• Thread starter zeion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Induction
In summary, the conversation discusses a proof for a statement involving the sum of odd integers and their squares for all positive integers n. The proof involves using induction, starting with a base case and showing that the statement holds for k+1 assuming it holds for k. The conversation also emphasizes the importance of being strict and algorithmic in the proof process.
zeion

Homework Statement

Show that the statement holds for all positive integers n.

1 + 3 + 5 + ... + (2n -1) = n2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume that k will work, then k + 1:

1 + 3 + 5 + ... + (2(k+1) -1) = (k+1)2
1 + 3 + 5 + ... + 2k+1 = k2 + 2k + 1

Recall that for k,
1 + 3 + 5 + ... + (2k -1) = k2

Then k+1,
1 + 3 + 5 + ... + (2k -1) + (2k+1) = k2 + (2k + 1)

Is this enough to conclude that the statement holds?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is correct. I would just be a little careful in your wording and progression of statements. I know that you are working backwards so to speak, but from appearances, it looks like you are assuming what you are trying to prove. When doing induction, try to be as strict and algorithmic as possible. Make sure each statement follows directly from the one preceding it.

n!kofeyn said:
Yes, that is correct. I would just be a little careful in your wording and progression of statements. I know that you are working backwards so to speak, but from appearances, it looks like you are assuming what you are trying to prove. When doing induction, try to be as strict and algorithmic as possible. Make sure each statement follows directly from the one preceding it.

I guess you ought to mention the equation satisfy for n=1 .
This is important as 1 is the first pst integer.

What is the formula for proving 1 + 3 + 5 + ... + (2n -1) = n2?

The formula for proving 1 + 3 + 5 + ... + (2n -1) = n2 is:n^2 = (n/2) * (2n - 1)

What is the significance of the proof of 1 + 3 + 5 + ... + (2n -1) = n2?

The proof of 1 + 3 + 5 + ... + (2n -1) = n2 has significant implications in mathematics and computer science. It is used in various algorithms and mathematical proofs, and helps to deepen our understanding of number patterns and sequences.

What is the historical background of the proof of 1 + 3 + 5 + ... + (2n -1) = n2?

The proof of 1 + 3 + 5 + ... + (2n -1) = n2 dates back to ancient Greece, where it was first discovered by mathematicians such as Pythagoras and Euclid. It has since been studied and expanded upon by many other mathematicians throughout history.

What are some real-life applications of the proof of 1 + 3 + 5 + ... + (2n -1) = n2?

The proof of 1 + 3 + 5 + ... + (2n -1) = n2 has many practical applications, such as in calculating the sum of odd numbers or finding the area of a square. It is also used in computer programming for tasks such as data sorting and algorithm analysis.

Can the proof of 1 + 3 + 5 + ... + (2n -1) = n2 be extended to other number sequences?

Yes, the proof of 1 + 3 + 5 + ... + (2n -1) = n2 can be extended to other number sequences with similar patterns, such as 2 + 4 + 6 + ... + 2n = n(n+1). This is known as a generalization of the original proof.