1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inductive proof of summation formula

1. Oct 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove by induction the following summation formula:
    [tex]\frac{1}{1\1*2} + \frac{1}{2*3} + ... + \frac{1}{n(n+1)} = 1 - \frac{1}{n+1}[/tex]
    [tex]n \geq 1[/tex]
    2. Relevant equations
    -
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Inductive step:
    1. [tex]\frac{1}{1*2} + \frac{1}{2*3} + ... + \frac{1}{n(n+1)} + \frac{1}{(n+1)((n+1)+1)} = 1 - \frac{1}{(n+1)+1}[/tex]

2. [tex]\frac{1}{1*2} + \frac{1}{2*3} + ... + \frac{1}{n(n+1)} + \frac{1}{(n+1)((n+1)+1)} = 1 - \frac{1}{n+1} + \frac{1}{(n+1)(n+2)}[/tex]

To prove this (1) should equal (2) (right?), but I don't see how to manipulate (2) to make it equal to (1)

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2009 #2

whs

Common denominator!

4. Oct 21, 2009 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You don't need to. All you need to do is to show these two sums of fractions are equal.

5. Oct 21, 2009 #4
    That's right, but in this case I've actually been staring at the problem for a while, so I'm really interested in how to do the algebra in (2). Thanks

6. Oct 21, 2009 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As a warmup exercise, prove the following:

[tex]\frac{1}{3} + \frac{1}{6} = \frac{3}{2} - 1[/tex]

7. Oct 21, 2009 #6
    see how 1 - 1/n+1 looks first

8. Oct 22, 2009 #7
    I appreciate the help, but I'm afraid I'm still blind here, proving the equivalence in the warmup exercise is easy Hurkyl, but I just don't see it in my problem.

9. Oct 22, 2009 #8

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Isn't proving
    [tex]1 - \frac{1}{(n+1)+1} = 1 - \frac{1}{n+1} + \frac{1}{(n+1)(n+2)}[/tex]​
    exactly the same kind of problem, though? Why can't you do the same thing you did for the warmup problem?

10. Oct 22, 2009 #9
    I guess it's because in the warmup exercise I could easily add and subtract the fractions because it was all constants, but in the one involving the variable n I got stuck. So I would probably have an epiphany if someone would just write it out. This is just a matter of me not seeing the obvious steps in this particular problem.

11. Oct 22, 2009 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do you get when you change
    [tex]1- \frac{1}{n+1}+ \frac{1}{(n+1)(n+2)}[/tex]
    to fractions having the same denominator?

That's what everyone has been telling you do to. Have you done it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook