Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inductor/coil/choke design confusion

1. Jun 26, 2012 #1
    Hello all,
    i have an equation for flux density taking the inductor chrecteristics into account as

Bmax= (Vrms * 10^8)/(4.44*A*N*f)

but the company i work for has given it at

Bmax=(Vl * 10^4)/(4.44*A*N*Vss)

where Vl = voltage across inductor.

i am finding alot of variation for equations for the paratmeters of inductor/choke design.

i was wonderign if someone could shed light light on this confusion??

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2012 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You would need to define the symbols in those formulae first. Is the second formula just for a particular circuit? (Vss seems to be a supply voltage?)
    What's the background to this?

4. Jun 26, 2012 #3
    Vrms = rms of supply (what i understood this to be)
    A = cross section of core
    N= number of turns of coil
    f= frequency of supply
    Vss = supply voltage

the equations given to me for choke design work but are not accurate so i started to search around for an answer. there are lot of variations in the equations and also for Inductance i found the same thing.

5. Jun 26, 2012 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The formula you have been given must be making assumptions about the frequency being used and, I guess, is supposed to make life easier for you to get an answer. It looks totally wrong and it is not 'dimensionally correct' because there is a V, top and bottom. But it may work in the particular context that they want you to work.
    I should ask your boss what to do, if that's acceptable in your organisation. He is paid to sort that sort of thing out (?).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook