Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inductor saturation due to high dv/dt

1. Mar 11, 2013 #1
    I have a buck regulator running hot. I reduced the switching frequency and the temperature is almost normal.
    The current rating of the inductor is high(2A) compared to current consumption on the board (300mA).
    Why does reducing the switching frequency solve the heat problem?
    Does the inductor core get hot due to high dv/dt at the switching node?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2013 #2
    You have confirmed that it is the inductor that is getting hot?

4. Mar 11, 2013 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Magnetic materials can have high losses when operating above their design frequency. What is the core material you are using? You could find out its characteristics from the manufacturers.

5. Mar 11, 2013 #4
    The Core type is Ferrite.

6. Mar 11, 2013 #5
    Yes.

7. Mar 11, 2013 #6
    It is not hi dV/Dt - but high dI/dt - or higher frequency causing higher losses. When you magnetize a core ( both a magnetic and conductive material) the expansion and contraction of the flux lines (changing flux) within the core - cause currents. The higher the frequency ( as well as harmonics) the more currents are induced and collapsed in the core material itself - yielding higher losses = heat.

8. Mar 11, 2013 #7
    Windact, can you tell me the techincal term for this loss mechanism.

9. Mar 11, 2013 #8
    Ummm.. I think just referred to as core losses due to eddy (circulating) currents. This is the reasoning for laminated steel to be used in the cores for transformers - it forces the currents into the individual laminations - smaller loops... smaller currents... smaller losses

Scroll down on this page.... http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/transformer/transformer-construction.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook