1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inelastic collision at an angle with two cars

1. Oct 30, 2006 #1

huh

almost there-inelastic collision at an angle

Two cars, both of mass m, collide and stick together. Prior to the collision, one car had been traveling north at speed 2v, while the second was traveling at speed v at an angle phi south of east. After the collision, the two-car system travels at speed v(final) at an angle theta east of north.

I want to find v(final) in terms of v and phi.

Only momentum is conserved, so would I just use m1(2v1)+m2v2cos(phi)=(m1+v1)v(final)sin(theta)

or could it be (m1+m2)2vcos(phi) divided by (m1+m2)

I'm not sure how to set up the equation...I've been confusing myself...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2006 #2

huh

Please help me understand.

4. Oct 30, 2006 #3

radou

Homework Helper

You mixed the sines and cosines up - it should be: m(2v)+m(v)sin(phi) =(2m)v(final)cos(theta)

5. Oct 30, 2006 #4

huh

Thanks. okay, so...

m2v+ mv sin(phi) divided by 2m cos(theta) is v(final)?

how can I get v(final) with only v and Phi? I can't have m or theta in the equation.

6. Oct 31, 2006 #5

radou

Homework Helper

Well, to get rid of m, you can obviously divide the whole equation by m. :smile:

7. Oct 31, 2006 #6

huh

Wouldn't there be an extra m on the bottom, and how could I get rid of theta and be left with phi, or does theta count for much (is it negligible)?

8. Oct 31, 2006 #7

radou

Homework Helper

Since momentum is a vector quantity, you can write the equation of conservation of momentum for the other direction, too. (The x-direction.) That should allow you to elliminate the angle phi.

9. Sep 27, 2008 #8
    what does v final look like?

waht do u mean write the equation of momentum for the other direction?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?