Inequality from Stirling's formula

In summary, the conversation discusses various mathematical inequalities and the difficulty of navigating through a Google Books interface to find specific pages. The main focus is on an inequality involving approximations of functions and the question of whether a certain inequality is correct or not. There is also mention of a "sharp form" of Stirling's inequality and the use of specific values such as n=4 to test the validity of the inequality.
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't see how to navigate to page 17 in that link. (I'm not enthusiastic about how the interface to Google books behaves on my browser and internet connection. It seems darn slow and tedious.) You'd best type out your question.

Thank you for writing back.

The inequality is

n is even
C(n,n/2)/2^(n+1) > 1/(2*sqrt(n)).

"Sharp form fo Stirling's inequality" is

sqrt(2*pi*k) * k^k * e^-k < k! < sqrt(2*pi*k) * k^k * e^-k * (1+1/(4*k))

Is it right? Tried with 4.

With Google books, by clicking on the book in the upper left hand corner, it will appear big on the screen and you can click on the big image and page up and down.
Think I'm missing something here.

With Google books, by clicking on the book in the upper left hand corner, it will appear big on the screen and you can click on the big image and page up and down.
Think I'm missing something here.

I'm missing all pages after page 15. It does say "some pages are omitted from the preview".

neginf said:
The inequality is
n is even

[tex] \frac{ \binom{n}{n/2}}{2^{n+1}} > \frac{1}{2 \sqrt{n}} [/tex]

"Sharp form fo Stirling's inequality" is

[tex] (\sqrt{2 \pi k}) k^k e^{-k} < k! < (\sqrt{2 \pi k}) k^k e^{-k } (1+\frac{1}{ 4k} ) [/tex]

Is it right? Tried with 4.

Is what right? Do you mean that you used k = 4 or n = 4 ?

Sorry, n.
I tried it with 4 and it seemed not to hold, the inequality. Tried with 2 and same problem.

This inequality is not correct:
[tex] \frac{ \binom{n}{n/2}}{2^{n+1}} > \frac{1}{2 \sqrt{n}} [/tex]

Assuming the inequality
[tex] (\sqrt{2 \pi k}) k^k e^{-k} < k! < (\sqrt{2 \pi k}) k^k e^{-k } (1+\frac{1}{ 4k} ) [/tex]

the only similar inequality that I see is:

[tex] \frac{ \binom{n}{n/2}}{(1 + \frac{1}{2n})^2} > \frac{\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{\pi n}} > \frac{1}{\sqrt{2n}} [/tex]

What is Stirling's formula?

Stirling's formula is a mathematical approximation for the factorial function. It states that for large values of n, n! is approximately equal to √(2πn)(n/e)^n.

How does Stirling's formula relate to inequality?

Inequality from Stirling's formula refers to the use of Stirling's formula to prove various inequalities in mathematics, particularly in the field of analysis. This includes inequalities involving factorial functions, binomial coefficients, and other related functions.

What are some common applications of Stirling's formula?

Stirling's formula is commonly used in probability and statistics, particularly in the calculation of large factorials. It is also used in the study of asymptotic expansions and in the analysis of algorithms.

What are the limitations of Stirling's formula?

Stirling's formula is an approximation and therefore has a limited range of accuracy. It is most accurate for large values of n, and becomes less accurate as n decreases. It is also not suitable for use with negative or non-integer values of n.

Are there alternative formulas for factorial functions?

Yes, there are alternative formulas for factorial functions such as Gosper's formula and the multiplication formula. However, Stirling's formula is the most commonly used and well-known approximation for large factorials.