Inertia block on inclined surface problem? help with solution?

In summary, the conversation discusses the rotational inertia of a wheel mounted on a frictionless horizontal axis with a massless cord wrapped around it, attached to a sliding block on a horizontal, frictionless surface inclined at an angle of 20 degrees with the horizontal. The solution and picture can be found on pages 32-33 of the provided resource. The final step of the solution involves dividing the denominator by the radius of the wheel, and the numerator becomes the square of the radius. This is because the linear acceleration of the string wound around the pulley is the same as the linear acceleration of the block, and linear acceleration is equal to radius times angular acceleration. Therefore, the angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the linear acceleration by the radius
nchin
A wheel of radius 0.20 m is mounted on a frictionless horizontal axis. A massless cord wrapped around the wheel is attaches to a 2.0 kg block that slides on a horizontal frictionless surface inclined at angle θ = 20 degrees with the horizontal. The box accelerates down the surface at 2.0 m/s^(2). What is the rotational inertia of the wheel about the axle?

Solution and picture is on page 32-33
http://mrlee.dreamstation.com/apPhysics/lect/apPhysics_lec_10.pdf

I understand all the steps except the last one where

m1(gsinθ - a1)r2 / a1 / r2 = m1(gsinθ - a1)r2^(2) / a1

why did they divide the denominator a1 by r2? and how did the r2 in the numerator become r2^(2)??

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that linear acceleration of the string wound round the pulley is the same as a[itex]_{1}[/itex] since the string is assumed that does not extend.

Now linear velocity = radius x angular velocity.

Similarly linear acceleration = radius x angular acceleration.

i.e. a[itex]_{2}[/itex] = r[itex]_{2}[/itex]α[itex]_{2}[/itex]

but a[itex]_{2}[/itex] = a[itex]_{1}[/itex]

therefore a[itex]_{1}[/itex] = r[itex]_{2}[/itex]α[itex]_{2}[/itex]

i.e. α[itex]_{2}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{a_{1}}{r_{2}}[/itex]

nchin said:
and how did the r2 in the numerator become r2^(2)??
1/(1/x) = x

x/(1/x) = x^2

grzz said:
Note that linear acceleration of the string wound round the pulley is the same as a[itex]_{1}[/itex] since the string is assumed that does not extend.

Now linear velocity = radius x angular velocity.

Similarly linear acceleration = radius x angular acceleration.

i.e. a[itex]_{2}[/itex] = r[itex]_{2}[/itex]α[itex]_{2}[/itex]

but a[itex]_{2}[/itex] = a[itex]_{1}[/itex]

therefore a[itex]_{1}[/itex] = r[itex]_{2}[/itex]α[itex]_{2}[/itex]

i.e. α[itex]_{2}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{a_{1}}{r_{2}}[/itex]

Then how did r2 become r2 ^ (2)?

As Doc Al told you.

The denomenator of a denomenator is a numerator.

Whoops I thought the alpha was a regular a.

Thanks!

1. What is the Inertia block on inclined surface problem?

The Inertia block on inclined surface problem is a physics problem that involves a block placed on an inclined surface and the calculation of the block's motion and acceleration.

2. How do I solve the Inertia block on inclined surface problem?

To solve the Inertia block on inclined surface problem, you will need to use the principles of Newton's laws of motion, specifically the second law which states that the net force on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. You will also need to consider the component forces acting on the block due to the inclined surface.

3. What are the key considerations when solving the Inertia block on inclined surface problem?

When solving the Inertia block on inclined surface problem, it is important to consider the forces acting on the block, the angle of the incline, the mass of the block, and the coefficient of friction between the block and the surface. These factors will all affect the block's motion and acceleration.

4. How do I calculate the acceleration of the block in the Inertia block on inclined surface problem?

To calculate the acceleration of the block, you will need to use the formula a = Fnet/m, where Fnet is the net force acting on the block and m is the mass of the block. You will also need to consider the component forces acting on the block due to the inclined surface.

5. Can you provide an example of solving the Inertia block on inclined surface problem?

Sure, for example, if a block with a mass of 5 kg is placed on an inclined surface with an angle of 30 degrees and a coefficient of friction of 0.2, and a force of 20 N is applied to the block, we can calculate the acceleration using the formula a = (20N * cos(30))/5kg = 3.46 m/s^2. This means that the block will accelerate at a rate of 3.46 m/s^2 down the inclined surface.