1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inferring charge via electric field properties

1. Oct 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You are 1.5m from a charge distribution whose size is much less than 1m. You measure an electric field strength of 282 N/C. You move to a distance of 2m, and the field strength becomes 119 N/C. What is the net charge of the distribution? HINT: Don't try to calculate the charge. Determine instead how the field decreases with distance, and from that infer the charge.

2. Relevant equations

E = kq/r2

3. The attempt at a solution

Well the electric field strength doesn't fall off as 1/r2, because if we calculate q for 1.5m using simple substitution, then use that q at 2m, I dont get the electric field given.

How do I figure out the field? If Im thinking graphically, I have two points (1.5,282) (2,119) and I have to find a curve that crosses those two points, a curve that describes how the electric field falls off.

I think the problem Im having here is that Im rusty on the math. I have a feeling that it would help to differentiate E = kq/r2 to perhaps be able to describe how the field is changing:

E' = -2kq/r3 But Im not sure how to use the given points to help...

E2/E1 = 0.422
    r2/r1 = 4/3

Any hints would be appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook