Infinite cyclic group only has two generators

In summary: Suppose that ##x^a## is a real number and that ##aeq \pm 1##. Then there exists an integer ##m## such that ##x^{m-1} = x##.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Let ##H = \langle x \rangle##. Assume ##|x| = \infty##. Show that if ##H = \langle x^a \rangle## then ##a = \pm 1##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my attempt: Suppose that ##H = \langle x^a \rangle##. Then, for arbitrary ##b \in \mathbb{Z}##, ##x^b = (x^a)^m## for some ##m \in \mathbb{Z}##. Then ##x^{b-ma} = 1##, which is only true when ##b = ma##. But for the last equation ##b## is arbitrary, so there only exists an ##m## for arbitrary ##b## such that ##b = am## when ##a = \pm 1##. To the contrary, suppose that ##a \ne \pm 1## and ##b \ne a##; then we can choose ##b## to be relatively prime with ##a## so that there exists no ##m## s.t. ##b = am##.

Is this clear and rigorous? I feel that there could be a better way of showing that ##b = am \implies a = \pm 1##.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
which is only true when b = ma.
That is not so in general. Why is it so in this case, though?

Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Let ##H = \langle x \rangle##. Assume ##|x| = \infty##. Show that if ##H = \langle x^a \rangle## then ##a = \pm 1##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my attempt: Suppose that ##H = \langle x^a \rangle##. Then, for arbitrary ##b \in \mathbb{Z}##, ##x^b = (x^a)^m## for some ##m \in \mathbb{Z}##. Then ##x^{b-ma} = 1##, which is only true when ##b = ma##. But for the last equation ##b## is arbitrary, so there only exists an ##m## for arbitrary ##b## such that ##b = am## when ##a = \pm 1##. To the contrary, suppose that ##a \ne \pm 1## and ##b \ne a##; then we can choose ##b## to be relatively prime with ##a## so that there exists no ##m## s.t. ##b = am##.

Is this clear and rigorous? I feel that there could be a better way of showing that ##b = am \implies a = \pm 1##.
No. That's a good example why I favor to write all dependencies explicitly. E.g. people write "##\forall \, \varepsilon \,\exists \,N ## such that ..." Wrong! It has to be "##\forall \, \varepsilon \,\exists \,N(\varepsilon) ## such that ..." because the choice of ##N## depends on the choice of ##\varepsilon \,.##

It is the same in what you wrote: ##\forall \,b\in \mathbb{Z} \,\exists \, m(b)\in \mathbb{Z} \ldots ## We thus have ##b=m(b)\cdot a##. So what? This is no surprise as it is exactly what we started with.

There is an easy way to check your proof, because ##(H,\cdot)=(\mathbb{Z},+)##. The exponents of the multiplicative ##x## are precisely the integers, so that is the isomorphism. Just assume ##a \neq \pm 1\,.## How could we ever reach points between ##1## and ##a\,?## Only if we had a relation, but ##x## doesn't have a relation, it is a free group.

Edit: Correction. Now I got your argument. ##a \,\mid \,b## for all ##b## and thus ##a## is a unit, hence ##a= \pm 1\,.## Sorry. It's a bit late here.

haruspex said:
That is not so in general. Why is it so in this case, though?
It is true in this case because ##|x| = \infty##. If I add this in would the proof be fine? When I read it's a bit hard to follow (as evidenced by fresh_42's edit), so O just want to make sure there's not some clearer way that uses the same underlying logic.

Mr Davis 97 said:
It is true in this case because |x|=∞.
Yes, but that step bears a little more detail.

Likes Mr Davis 97

1. What is an infinite cyclic group?

An infinite cyclic group is a mathematical structure that consists of a single element that repeats itself infinitely in both directions.

2. Why does an infinite cyclic group only have two generators?

This is because an infinite cyclic group is generated by a single element, which can either be raised to a positive or negative power, resulting in only two possible generators.

3. How can we determine the generators of an infinite cyclic group?

To determine the generators of an infinite cyclic group, we can look for elements that when raised to different powers, result in all the elements of the group. These elements will be the generators.

4. Can an infinite cyclic group have more than two generators?

No, an infinite cyclic group can only have two generators because it is a cyclic group and its elements repeat themselves infinitely, resulting in only two possible generators.

5. What are the properties of an infinite cyclic group?

An infinite cyclic group has the following properties: it is abelian (commutative), it has infinite order, it is isomorphic to the additive group of integers, and it has only two generators.