Infinite Dimensional Linear Algebra Proof

In summary: Your book is called "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler. It does not mention infinite dimensional vector spaces, only finite dimensional vector spaces. In fact, it does not mention anything about vector spaces at all. In summary, your book does not say that $\mathbf{F}$^{\infty} is infinite dimensional.
*melinda*
Prove that [itex]$\mathbf{F}$^{\infty}[/itex] is infinite dimensional.

[itex]$\mathbf{F}$^{\infty}[/itex] is the vector space consisting of all sequences of elements of [itex]$\mathbf{F}$[/itex], and [itex]$\mathbf{F}$[/itex] denotes the real or complex numbers.

I was thinking of showing that no list spans [itex]$\mathbf{F}$^{\infty}[/itex], which would mean that it had no basis and therefore could not be finite dimensional.

I'm just not sure if this approach works, and I'm also a little fuzzy on how to show this.

Another idea I had was to assume that [itex]$\mathbf{F}$^{\infty}[/itex]was finite dimensional and show a contradiction, but again I am unsure of how to actually show this.

Any ideas or input would be much appreciated :smile: !

Physics news on Phys.org
The vectors (1,0,0,...), (0,1,0,...),... are all linearly independent. Does that help?

*melinda* said:
I was thinking of showing that no list spans [itex]$\mathbf{F}$^{\infty}[/itex]

You could show no *finite* list (or just set, unless list specifically means a finite set, but I've not come across that meaning before) is a spanning set.

which would mean that it had no basis

it definitely has basis, it is just not finite dimensional (in fact its dimension is the same as the cardinality of the real numbers).

I have nothing else to add other than follow the hint StatusX gave.

Thanks for all the help!

The book I'm working from does not discuss infinite dimensional vector spaces. It only gives a brief description of [itex]$\mathbf{F}$^{\infty}[/itex] and P(F), the set of all polynomials with coefficents in [itex]$\mathbf{F}$[/itex].

In particular it says, "because no list spans P(F), this vector space is infinite dimensional".

Does this mean that in infinite dimensions all you need for basis is linear independence?

A basis is any linearly independent set of vectors that spans the space. There can be smaller lists that are linearly independent and larger lists that span the space, but the fact that a basis must have both properties forces it to have a unique cardinality that is characteristic of the space.

A basis is a linearly independent spanning set. (Note there is no reference to cardinality at all.)

I have no idea why your book would choose the word list. Just think 'set'. No finite set of vectors can possibly span F[x] (which is what you ought to call the set of polynomials over F, not P(F) - I don't think I like this book, and I've not even seen it) or F^{oo}

Ironically, the book is called 'Linear Algebra Done Right' 2nd ed. by Sheldon Axler. I don't exactly love it, but it is what I'll be using this fall so I better get used to it. :rolleyes:

What is infinite dimensional linear algebra?

Infinite dimensional linear algebra is the study of vector spaces and linear transformations in which the underlying space has an infinite number of dimensions. This is in contrast to finite dimensional linear algebra, which deals with vector spaces of a finite number of dimensions.

What is a proof in infinite dimensional linear algebra?

A proof in infinite dimensional linear algebra is a rigorous and logical argument that demonstrates the truth or validity of a statement or theorem in the context of infinite dimensional vector spaces and linear transformations. It typically involves the use of mathematical concepts, definitions, and properties specific to infinite dimensional spaces.

Why is infinite dimensional linear algebra important?

Infinite dimensional linear algebra is important because it provides a powerful framework for understanding and analyzing mathematical and physical phenomena that cannot be adequately described using finite dimensional vector spaces. It has applications in various fields such as quantum mechanics, functional analysis, and differential equations.

What are some common techniques used in infinite dimensional linear algebra proofs?

Some common techniques used in infinite dimensional linear algebra proofs include the use of linear independence, basis and dimension arguments, continuity and compactness arguments, operator theory, and spectral theory. These techniques are tailored to the specific properties and characteristics of infinite dimensional vector spaces.

What are some challenging aspects of proving statements in infinite dimensional linear algebra?

Some challenging aspects of proving statements in infinite dimensional linear algebra include the complex and abstract nature of infinite dimensional spaces, the potential for non-intuitive results, and the need for careful and precise reasoning to deal with infinite quantities. Additionally, the lack of explicit formulas and algorithms for infinite dimensional spaces can make it difficult to construct proofs in a systematic manner.