Infinite series estimation using integral test

In summary, the conversation discusses the strategy for estimating the sum of the infinite series \sum^{\infty}_{n=1}n^{-3/2} within 0.01. The suggested strategy involves finding the appropriate n value using the formula Rn = 0.01, but the textbook's solution involves a different approach, using integration and a substitution. The conversation also touches on a potential misunderstanding regarding the limits of integration.
motornoob101

Homework Statement

Estimate [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}n^{-3/2}[/tex] to within 0.01

Homework Equations

[tex] \int^{\infty}_{n+1}f(x)dx\leq R_{n} \leq \int^{\infty}_{n}f(x)dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So my strategy was using the above formula to find Rn, where Rn = 0.01 or 1/10^2. Then that will give me the n value, which I can use to find the partial sum. It worked for all other problems but when I looked at the solution manual, they are doing something weird and I can't understand.

[tex]
\int^{\infty}_{x}x^{-3/2}dx= \left[ -2x^{-1/2}\right]^{\infty}_{x}[/tex]

and if I do the appropriate substitution etc.. I get [tex]\frac{2}{\sqrt{x}} = \frac{1}{10^2}[/tex], which give me a x or n value of 40000. A bit too big considering the textbook has a answer of like 14. What I am doing wrong? Thanks.

Here is the textbook's solution, which I don't get at all..

http://p3t3rl1.googlepages.com/texsolution.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The crucial part in understanding "what they are doing" is where the say "From the end of example 6, we see that the error is at most half of the interval". What do they say at "the end of example 6"?

Ok, I don't know what they did in example 6. They had just one sentence about the error and it is very unclear. What I am curious though, and which is the whole point of my question to begin with, is what I am doing correct? Thanks.

I haven't gone this far into series,
but I think your limits are wrong.
You should go from 1 to t, where t --> inf
(We don't just put inf on top and evaluate)

Last edited:

1. What is the integral test for infinite series estimation?

The integral test is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series. It involves comparing the infinite series to a corresponding improper integral.

2. How is the integral test used to estimate the sum of an infinite series?

The integral test allows us to estimate the sum of an infinite series by finding the value of the corresponding improper integral. If the integral converges, then the infinite series also converges and the value of the integral is equal to the sum of the series. If the integral diverges, then the infinite series also diverges.

3. What are the conditions for using the integral test?

The integral test can only be used on infinite series with positive terms. The series must also be continuous, monotonic decreasing, and have terms that approach zero as n approaches infinity.

4. Can the integral test be used to determine the exact sum of an infinite series?

No, the integral test can only be used to estimate the sum of an infinite series. It does not provide an exact value for the sum.

5. Are there any other methods for estimating the sum of an infinite series?

Yes, there are other methods such as the comparison test, ratio test, and root test. These methods can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series, and in some cases, provide an estimation of the sum.