Do Infinite Series and Sequences Converge or Diverge?

• Thread starter fubag
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infinite
In summary, the conversation discussed problems with infinite series and sequences and determining if they absolutely converge, conditionally converge, or diverge. The speaker mentioned using the ratio/root/limit test and the comparison test, as well as knowing what cos(pi*n) looks like for the second problem. The third problem may not converge and the geometric series and improper integrals can be used to compare series. The discussion also mentioned the n-term test and the fact that the geometric series does not converge when |z| = 1. Overall, the conversation highlighted the importance of the terms approaching zero and the relevance of Cauchy sequences in determining convergence.
fubag
Hi I have a few problems with regard to infinite series and sequences:

1.) cos(n) / (n^2) summation from n = 0 to infinity

2.) cos(pi*n)/n summation from n = 0 to infinity

3.) sin(n) summation from 0 to infinity

I have to tell whether they absolutely converge, conditionally converge, or diverge.

I tried using the ration/root/limit test for them but nothing seemed to help.

any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The "comparison test" and the "divergence test" will be useful. For the second one, in particular, knowing what cos(pi*n) looks like is also helpful.

By the way, for the first two the summation can't possibly start at n=0. :wink:

there are two basic limits we an compute, geometric series, and improper integrals. all other series must be compared usually to one of these. a necessary condition is that the terms go to zero, which is sufficient if their size goes to zero monotonically and they have alternating signs.

compare 1 above to the series 1/n^2 which is then compoared to the integral of 1/x^2.

2 is the other test , alternating test.

3 i am not sure of. but suspect it does not converge by the test of whether the terms approach zero.

My brain is exploding.

True, the series diverges by several tests, most obviously by the n-term test mathwonk mentioned. But if we go about evaluating the result;

[tex]S = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \sin (n) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \mathRR{Im} (e^{in}) = \mathRR{Im}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(e^{in}) = \mathRR{Im} (\frac{1}{1-e^i}) = \frac{1+ \cos 1}{2 \sin^2 1}[/tex].

What did i do wrong :(

The geometric series doesn't converge when |z|=1:

[tex]s_n = \sum_{i=0}^n z^n = \frac{1}{1-z} - \frac{z^{n+1}}{1-z}[/tex], z not equal 1.

It's bounded, but is not a Cauchy sequence when |z| = 1.
([tex]s_{n+1}-s_n = e^{i \theta n}[/tex]).

But as mentioned above, the main point is that the terms z^n don't go to zero as n -> infty when |z| = 1.

[tex]\sum c_n[/tex] converges [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] [tex]s_n[/tex] is Cauchy [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] [tex]|c_n| = |s_n-s_{n-1}| \rightarrow 0[/tex].

Last edited:

1. What is an infinite series/sequence?

An infinite series/sequence is a mathematical concept that involves adding an infinite number of terms together in a specific order. It can be represented as a list of numbers, with each number being called a term. The terms in the series/sequence follow a specific pattern, which can be used to determine the value of the series/sequence.

2. What is the difference between a series and a sequence?

A series is the sum of the terms in a sequence, while a sequence is a list of numbers that follow a specific pattern. In other words, a series is the result of adding the terms in a sequence together.

3. What is the purpose of studying infinite series/sequences?

Infinite series/sequences have many practical applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They can be used to model and solve real-world problems, such as calculating the distance traveled by an object in motion or the amount of heat transferred over time.

4. How do you determine if an infinite series/sequence converges or diverges?

The convergence or divergence of an infinite series/sequence can be determined by evaluating its limit. If the limit of the series/sequence approaches a finite number, the series/sequence is said to converge. If the limit approaches infinity or negative infinity, the series/sequence is said to diverge.

5. What are some common types of infinite series/sequences?

Some common types of infinite series/sequences include geometric series, arithmetic series, and harmonic series. These types of series/sequences have specific formulas that can be used to determine their sums or limits.