1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite sum help (geometric series)

1. Sep 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Well, the original question is to solve this ...

[tex]\sum[/tex] 1/(a2 + x2)

the sum goes from x=-infinity to infinity (i wasnt sure how to show this with the latex??)

and the answer i am supposed to show is [tex]\pi[/tex]/a + (2*[tex]\pi[/tex]/a) * (1/(e2*[tex]\pi[/tex]*a - 1)

2. Relevant equations

So, using Poisson resummation and some results from previous exercises, i get the new problem to being

[tex]\sum[/tex] ([tex]\pi[/tex]/a) * (e-2*[tex]\pi[/tex]*a*|v|)

the sum now from v=-infinity to infinity

3. The attempt at a solution

so i can split this into three.

the easy bit is to take the v=o part, this gives me the [tex]\pi[/tex]/a required in the answer.

then i have two parts, the sum with v=1 to infinity and the sum with v=-infinity to -1

these two parts are identical, due to the |v|.

so i have 2*[tex]\sum[/tex] ([tex]\pi[/tex]/a) * (e-2*[tex]\pi[/tex]*a*|v|)

i can take the 2*[tex]\pi[/tex]/a outside of the sum, as it has no v element.

so now i am left having to show that

[tex]\sum[/tex] (e-2*[tex]\pi[/tex]*a*|v|) = (1/(e2*[tex]\pi[/tex]*a - 1)

which, i realise is just a (i think) simple geometric series sum ... and yet im not sure how to show these two equate?

any help would be brilliant, thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The sum from 0 to infinity is 1/(1-exp(-2*pi*a)), geometric series, right? So the sum from 1 to infinity is [1/(1-exp(-2*pi*a))]-1. Do some algebra including multiply numerator and denominator by exp(2*pi*a).

4. Sep 30, 2009 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi TheMightyJ! :smile:

(have a pi: π and an infinity: ∞ and a sigma: ∑ :wink:)

With LaTeX, it's \sum_{-\infty}^{\infty}, and without, it's just ∑-∞ :smile:

5. Oct 1, 2009 #4
    Thanks to both of you :0) much appreciated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook