Infinitely Many Primes: Proofs & Homological Algebra

• Thread starter masnevets
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Primes
In summary, the conversation discusses different proofs for the fact that there are infinitely many prime numbers. The first link provided is a compilation of various proofs, and the speaker asks for more suggestions, specifically hoping for a proof from homological algebra. Another proof is presented, based on the assumption that there are only a finite number of primes. The speaker also mentions the use of modular arithmetic in proving the infinite number of primes. Finally, a proof is shared involving the divergence of the sum of the primes' reciprocals.
masnevets
Hi all,

I am for some reason interested in creative or weird proofs of the fact that there are infinitely many prime numbers. I have started writing down all of the proofs that seemed sufficiently different in the following file:

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~ssam/primes.pdf

If you know of any more, please let me know! In particular, I am really hoping for a proof from homological algebra.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I wrote a proof a few months ago, I will post it here when I get home.

Suppose there are only n primes, and they are [tex] p_1 ... p_n [/tex] these are all greater than or equal to 2.

every number <= 2^k will be a product of powers of prime numbers, and all those powers have exponent <=k because all primes are at least 2. Those products thus have the form

[tex] \prod_{i=1}^{n} p_i^{a_i} [/tex]

with [tex] a_i <= k [/tex]

There are at most [tex] k^n [/tex] such products. for sufficiently large k, [tex] 2^k [/tex] will be larger than [tex]k^n[/tex], so there must be numbers that are not a product of these primes.

There are also plenty of proofs involving modular arithmetic, e.g. proof that there are infinitely many primes 3 modulo 4:

Quite evidently, any number 3 modulo 4 must have a prime factor that is also 3 modulo 4. Supposing there is a finite number of primes 3 modulo 4, we consider

[tex] q = \prod_{p\equiv\mbox{3 (mod 4)}}^{} p[/tex]

If q = 3 (modulo 4), then we reach a contradiction by showing that no prime 3 modulo 4 divides into q + 4, if q = 1 (modulo 4), we reach a contradiction with q + 2.

Edit:

Also, you can look at different proofs of the divergence of the sum of the primes' reciprocals.

Last edited:
The promised proof:

Suppose there is a finite number of primes, n. Consider the integer [tex]m = 2^{2(n+1)} [/tex]. Of course, m > n. Now, for every integer [tex]1 \leq k \leq m[/tex], factor out its largest square factor, so to express k as [tex]ab^{2}[/tex] where in the prime factorization of a, the exponents are either 0 or 1. Because there are only n primes, there are only [tex]2^n[/tex] possible values for a. Also, since [tex] b^2\leq2^{2(n + 1)}[/tex], we get [tex]b\leq2^{n+1}[/tex], so there are at most [tex]2^{n+1}[/tex] possible values for b and b^2 consequently. Since [tex] k = ab^{2}[/tex], it follows that there are at most [tex]2^{n}2^{n+1} = 2^{2n + 1} < m [/tex] possible values for k. But k has been said to be any integer from 1 to m; contradiction. So our assumption that there is a finite number of primes is false.

Last edited:
http://sums.mcgill.ca/delta-epsilon/mag/0610/mmm061034.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the significance of proving that there are infinitely many primes?

Proving that there are infinitely many primes is significant because it is one of the oldest and most fundamental problems in mathematics. It also has many important applications in fields such as cryptography and number theory.

2. How is the concept of homological algebra used in the proof of infinitely many primes?

Homological algebra is used in the proof of infinitely many primes through a technique called homological spectral sequences. This technique helps to analyze the algebraic structure of certain mathematical objects, making it a powerful tool for proving the existence of infinitely many primes.

3. Are there different proofs for the existence of infinitely many primes?

Yes, there are several different proofs for the existence of infinitely many primes. Some of the most well-known proofs include Euclid's proof, Euler's proof, and the proof using homological algebra.

4. Can the concept of infinitely many primes be extended to other number systems?

Yes, the concept of infinitely many primes can be extended to other number systems such as complex numbers, quaternions, and p-adic numbers. However, the properties of primes in these number systems may differ from those in the integers.

5. How does the proof of infinitely many primes relate to the Riemann Hypothesis?

The proof of infinitely many primes is closely related to the Riemann Hypothesis, as it provides a deeper understanding of the distribution of primes and the behavior of the Riemann zeta function. In fact, the Riemann Hypothesis is considered to be one of the most important unsolved problems in mathematics and its resolution could have significant implications for the proof of infinitely many primes.