Infinte sum - standard result?

In summary, the conversation is about a continuous time random walk problem with an infinite sum involving variables p, s, and k. The speaker is unsure how to proceed to the next step or if there is a trick to apply. The solution is found to be the geometric series formula with specific values for a and r.
yaboidjaf
Hi, I'm working on a continuous time random walk problem, but my question is to do with analysis.
I have and infinite sum and am unsure how to get form one step to the next or whether it is just a standard result.
The variables aren't important but it looks like

sum from n=0 to inf of (p^n((1-p)/s)(cos(ka))^n) = ((1-p)/s)(1/(1-pcos(ka))

sorry it looks messy but i was struggling with the latex.
Is this a standard result or is there a trick I can apply?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
See here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometric_series#Formula

It's just the geometric series with,

[tex]a = \frac{1-p}{s}[/tex]

and

[tex]r^n = \bigg{(}\frac{p}{\cos(ka)}\bigg{)}^n[/tex]

(make sure you use the formula for when n goes to infinity, i.e. the s = ... one)

brilliant, thanks a lot!

1. What is an infinite sum and what is its standard result?

An infinite sum is a mathematical concept in which an infinite number of terms are added together. The standard result of an infinite sum is the value that the sum approaches as more and more terms are added. For example, the standard result of the infinite sum 1 + 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + ... is 2.

2. How is the standard result of an infinite sum calculated?

The standard result of an infinite sum can be calculated using various methods such as the geometric series formula, the telescoping series method, or the alternating series test. Each method is used to determine whether the infinite sum has a finite value or not, and if it does, what that value is.

3. Can an infinite sum have a standard result that is not a finite value?

Yes, an infinite sum can have a standard result that is not a finite value. This means that the sum does not approach a specific number as more terms are added. Instead, it either diverges to infinity or oscillates between different values.

4. Are there any real-life applications of infinite sums and their standard results?

Yes, infinite sums and their standard results have many real-life applications, especially in the fields of physics and engineering. For example, infinite sums are used to calculate the force of gravity between two objects or the voltage in an electrical circuit.

5. Is there a way to prove the standard result of an infinite sum?

Yes, there are various ways to prove the standard result of an infinite sum, depending on the method used to calculate it. Some common proof techniques include mathematical induction, limit laws, and convergence tests. These proofs involve rigorous mathematical reasoning and can be quite complex.